• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DEOS THIS WORK? fan on case door

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

e_8_a_y

hi all

deos a fan directly in line on the case door kool the cpu better?

basically shooting outside air on top of the cpu cooler fan???

any help guys cos i'm thinking of hacking with snips!!!

It works really well if you have some way of directing the air directly to your hsf unit - the problem you run in to w/o directing the air is that only a fraction of the cool air would actually reach the hsf. With a directing mechanism (shroud), all the air reaches the hsf, to be sucked in buy the hsf's fan and blown across the bottom/sides of your hsf unit.
I have 2 92mm fans on the side of my case, and on one of them I made a shroud from a Taco Bell cup (I know its ghetto, but it works). My temps dropped between 3-5 C (maybe more, but that's the minimum you'll get).

If you wish to make it look "proper" just get some 4 inch ducting from a hardware store- white/black/aluminum, your choice!
SPyder

thx.

what if i took the heatsink fan off?

then made a veturie system from the case door fan say 92mm fan or 120mm fan reducing the tube to a cone plastic cup shape?

Re: thx.

e_8_a_y said:
what if i took the heatsink fan off?

then made a veturie system from the case door fan say 92mm fan or 120mm fan reducing the tube to a cone plastic cup shape?

That works really well as long as you can keep the air velocity up. I've done it before, but used a blower, not a fan.

I made a duct for my cpu, it lowered temps about 6c. I tried it without the fan on the heatsink, but my temps were much higher. PS - if you try that, go right into your bios and check the temps quick, i was over 55 in like 20 secs.

Unless your going to use a blower (same thing Hoot used in making his famous Hoot Choot), you need to have the fan on top of the heatsink. Normal fans output air in a non-linear fashion - ie, the air goes all directions out from the fan. The duct will force the air in to a more linear type shape, but you'll start losing the force of the air column. The second fan on top of the heatsink acts to restore/enhance the force and the linearity of the air from the chute, since it is pulling the air from the chute (which comes from outside the case) through itself and on to the heatsink surfaces.
With a blower, the air comes out in a linear fashion with lots of force, so you don't need the extra guidance that the fan on the heatsink provides.

I've ducted a 120mm sunon 108 cfm fan to my hs and it seems to be quite good i get a 6 deg drop in temps. but thats if ur willing to put up with the noise. I couldnt thats why its laned up in the laundry just for folding

Back