• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding/Render farm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ed8150

hey guys i think i will be able to set up a render farm soon that will double as a folding farm. does anyone know how to set up a render farm?

I think the local University turns all their macs into a render farm at nighttime. You could check a University near you and see what the computer dept do with their lab machines.

I think computers in a render farm just have some form of client on them that allows other computers to distribute work to them.

A render farm is a farm of computers that work together to do image/movie rendering.

Some programs include server/client software to set up a farm, I know 3DSMax does, but that's probably out of your price range.

no it is not, i have a friend who is doing a major graphical implementation of a city. he is currently trying to find artists that will do this sort of thing. i offered my rendering services as i might get some money to build a farm, and when iam done with it it will start folding. i was thinking maybe 5-8 [email protected] or so would be nice. the object is to be able to do it with as few componets as possible. is there anyway that i could run something like the yattamonster setup, where there is no need for a hdd? would a beowolf cluster work in a situation such as this?

Find out what client software needs to be run on each of the machines in the farm. If it is a linux client then, yes, a modified version of the YattaMonsters OS would work.

Back