• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help w/ an Intel Slot1 Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IFMU

The Xtreme Senior Nobody
Ok heres the deal. I just recently got my hands on a Slot1 400.
From the case I just ripped off of it, its an actual PII not celery.
I have an iWill BD100 motherboard, by my understanding, its a BX? of some sorts? LoL... sorry, dont know Intel.

Im limited on ram, all I have is some generic PC100, but Im curious how I can tell what exact CPU this is. Where do I look for info to find out? on the web and on the chip itself.

Any info would be helpful. and any ideas how far I might be able to push this thing.

Overall, anything anyones willing to share with an Intel newb.

SSS, I know this is at least partially your area... any ideas? heh

Oh yea, this is something I would be willing to do mods to. VMods that kinda thing. However, I would need some serious walk throughs on this, never done any!~!

TIA

IFMU

The Iwill BD100 is in fact a BX board PC100 should be fine....the best way to get that info is to look for the S-Spec number on the casign it should be a word like SXLBV (random example), using this you can find out what core your chip is based on and its probably a katmai Pentium II...i would expect 600 tops from this chip even with vmods and water....

first theres a sticker on it ~ says
80523PX300512PE SL2W8
98360492-0126 MALAY

Then theres a sticker on it that says

FRU 01K4476 11801K4475Z 1N0DX 8991AR 809

Do these mean anything?

I have a printed manual for the iWill board.

You have a Klamath Pentium II 300.

Your S-Spec says it is a P2 300 on 66 bus speed with 512 cache ram and is multiplier locked.

Hope this helps.

By the way, there is no Katmai Pentium II, the Katmai's started with the Pentium IIIs. The first P2s were Klamaths and the next ones (the 100 bus speed ones) and Deschutes.

Really? er.... Ive done some working with it here and Ive been able to reach 504 with it. Tops. It seems to be locked. I did some searching and found one possibility on unlocking it, and that didnt work. Standard however it boots at 450. Im wondering if you got something wrong, or if I wrote something wrong here.
Its that, or this thing is OC'd by 66%. Which I doubt. No offense intended.

Ill retype whats on the case.

Sticker ~
FRU 01K4476 11801K44752 1N0DX 899AR 809
Printed on case ~ 2 ROWS
80523PX300512PE SL2W8
98360492-0126 MALAY

But with everything overall, that is all I was able to get out of it. I cant say if it was due to my ram or just the tops of the CPU.

The same went for a 333 Celery I have, it topped off at 416. Again, not positive if its ram or not. All I have here is PC100 Generic stuff. And wont have cash to get a stick of 133 for at least a few weeks.

IFMU,

That is acually a Deschutes 300 and not a Klamath proc. The Klamath P2's were built on a .35 micron fab process and didn't overclock well at all. The Deschutes P2 was built on a .25 micron process and they overclock a lot better. I also have an old SL2W8 300, which is an oem proc that I pulled from a Compaq deskpro. Mine would max out at 450, couldn't get it any higher than that, so your proc is overclocking real well for that S-spec proc.

muddocktor

EDIT: Here is a link for your proc to it's S-spec sheet at Intel.

heh, wow. Ok well thats interesting news... LoL... The guy I traded for it was saying it was a 400. Hmm... damn.. At least Im getting one hella OC outta it huh? LoL...

Kinda curious if I could get higher if I had some better ram..... hmm...

Well thanks alot guys, been very helpful.

IFMU

Holy freakin smollies...

My bro was workin on his g/f's system and she had some 133 ram, so I swapped it into mine to see if the ram was what was holdin me back.

Well, I tagged 600 with this sucker. 133x4.5 ~ 4.5 is the locked multi. and 133 is the highest this board will allow me to go. So Im topped out. Wow, and this sucker could go higher Id bet.

Dayum..... heh...

Thanks guys!~!

hehe, Actually, I bet that I could get further with this CPU here. Unfortunatly, the board is holding me back.

Right now the Multi is locked at 4.5, and the fastest I can set the fsb is to 133. Soo... I bet if I had a board that would allow faster than that, I could get higher. Id be willin to bet that sucker on it.

But gotta say, best OC Ive ever had. Solid 100% OC. dang.. heh

IFMU said:
hehe, Actually, I bet that I could get further with this CPU here. Unfortunatly, the board is holding me back.

Right now the Multi is locked at 4.5, and the fastest I can set the fsb is to 133. Soo... I bet if I had a board that would allow faster than that, I could get higher. Id be willin to bet that sucker on it.

But gotta say, best OC Ive ever had. Solid 100% OC. dang.. heh

That's a heck of an oc out of that Deschutes 300, highest I've heard of!:cool: I don't think it will go much higher than that due to the speed of the off-die L2 cache though. It will run into the same problems that the Katmai P3's do at around 600 MHz, with the cache being overclocked too high for it to handle. Basically, you have 150 MHz off-die L2 cache that is running 100% faster than what it was meant to run.

As a matter fact, I just checked the cpu database. That is a record overclock for the P2 300.:cool: Another fact from the cpu database: the only 300 class proc to make 600 was a chilled slot1 Celeron 300A, cooled to -35.

You got a 1 in a million 300 there IFMU.

muddocktor said:

That's a heck of an oc out of that Deschutes 300, highest I've heard of!:cool: I don't think it will go much higher than that due to the speed of the off-die L2 cache though. It will run into the same problems that the Katmai P3's do at around 600 MHz, with the cache being overclocked too high for it to handle. Basically, you have 150 MHz off-die L2 cache that is running 100% faster than what it was meant to run.

As a matter fact, I just checked the cpu database. That is a record overclock for the P2 300.:cool: Another fact from the cpu database: the only 300 class proc to make 600 was a chilled slot1 Celeron 300A, cooled to -35.

You got a 1 in a million 300 there IFMU.

LoL!~! Kick a__!!!

Hmm... Unfortunately, I need to get a hdd to be able to install windows and see if it runs solid at that. It boots clean, no lag, nada. works great.

Ill post up in here to let yea know how it runs.

Im not conviced thats as far as it would go. But we'll see!~! :D

Thanks again guys for the info on this~!

IFMU

GODCHIP

OMG....... I found someone with the "God-Chip"

100% overclock.

what kind of cooling are you using again?

Please post some benchmarks and screenshots!

Wow, yea know, I had someone ask me about this and I had completely forgotten about it.
Unfortunately, Ive sold the chip and board before I was able to get a HDD to really get into testing that.
Sorry about that laaaaate delay on responce there CivicSR, never saw the post. :rollseyes:
Cooling was just a couple of small fans on a decent lil generic al heatsink.

Back