Notices

Overclockers Forums > Overclockers.com Teams > Folding Team
Folding Team Join the Overclockers.com Protein-Folding Team and support medical research!
Forum Jump

Multiple people folding for 1 username

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 06-24-02, 02:16 PM Thread Starter   #1
Breadfan
Inactive Moderator

Multiple people folding for 1 username

So here's an interesting question. I know some people have put together alliances, which is awesome.

I currently have all my mahcines at home folding, and many of them at work as well. There are still some people at work I'm recruiting, and also recruiting my friends/family, etc.

Anyway, I'm looking to add these people to my username. I would love to have them folding under my name, as it would obviously keep helping me in the ranks. I'm currently ranked 57.

But I feel wierd doing this...its like people would be folding for me. Obviously they would know the deal (I'm not Google you know), and would have totlaly agreed with it and found it to be a good idea.

But I also don't want to do anything seen as unfair to the rest of the team. If I get a folder for team 32, they could use my username or create their own. Either way it would help team 32, but one would help my rank.

While that would be cool and all, I don't want to do that if it is the wrong thing to do.

Like I said, no sneak tactics to get people to fold for me, but if people wish to use my name to fold, is that cool to do?

Thanks for the input, as always!
Mike

Heatware -=:=-

"It must be said that genuine compassion is not like pity or a feeling that others are somehow lower than you. Rather, with genuine compassion you view others as more important than yourself." -- Dalai Lama
Breadfan is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-24-02, 02:23 PM   #2
nikhsub1
Unoriginal Macho Moderator

10 Year Badge

Re: Multiple people folding for 1 username

Quote:
Originally posted by Breadfan
So here's an interesting question. I know some people have put together alliances, which is awesome.

I currently have all my mahcines at home folding, and many of them at work as well. There are still some people at work I'm recruiting, and also recruiting my friends/family, etc.

Anyway, I'm looking to add these people to my username. I would love to have them folding under my name, as it would obviously keep helping me in the ranks. I'm currently ranked 57.

But I feel wierd doing this...its like people would be folding for me. Obviously they would know the deal (I'm not Google you know), and would have totlaly agreed with it and found it to be a good idea.

But I also don't want to do anything seen as unfair to the rest of the team. If I get a folder for team 32, they could use my username or create their own. Either way it would help team 32, but one would help my rank.

While that would be cool and all, I don't want to do that if it is the wrong thing to do.

Like I said, no sneak tactics to get people to fold for me, but if people wish to use my name to fold, is that cool to do?

Thanks for the input, as always!
Mike
Like you said, as long as it is for TEAM 32, it's all good! I say put them under YOUR username, heck you are doing the work to get them to fold etc, etc. If it wasn't for you they wouldn't be folding in the first place.

Old 06-24-02, 02:23 PM   #3
David
Forums Super Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

Location: Hiding from Americans and making pretty colours in a drybox in St Andrews

10 Year Badge

I would say that people folding under your username is OK as long as they know about it and agree to it.

Perhaps a better idea would be to start a new username like Breadfan & Friends or something. Or the company name perhaps: eg, 'Davids computer repairs'

David

The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
The HTPC/Server: AMD Phenom X4 9650 / 6 GB DDR2 / nVidia 8300 / 5 TB of HDDs / Antec Solo II Case / Windows 7
The Gaming Rig: AMD Llano A6-3650 / 4 GB DDR3 / nVidia GTX260 / 2x 500 GB HDD in RAID0 / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7

My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.
David is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-24-02, 02:28 PM   #4
Mulciber
Registered

I do the same thing. Its ok because none of them would have been folding if I hadn't talked them into it. So Im just reaping some of the benefits of my recruiting effort. They are all my close friends also, and the keep up with the stats and are happy just like me when the stats go up.
Plus I make sure people on the boards know that my friends are part of my little "subteam" also.
Mulciber is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-24-02, 02:31 PM   #5
nikhsub1

10 Year Badge

Plus, if you don't look what's going to happen

Old 06-24-02, 02:39 PM Thread Starter   #6
Breadfan
Inactive Moderator

Heheh, don't worry 'bout that! Like I'm gonna put in my write-up for F@H, the friendly competition is half the fun...if not more!

Lets both make those curves steeper! WOHOO!

Mike

"It must be said that genuine compassion is not like pity or a feeling that others are somehow lower than you. Rather, with genuine compassion you view others as more important than yourself." -- Dalai Lama
Old 06-24-02, 03:09 PM   #7
Wedo
Senior Kitty Power!

As long as they fold for team 32, I don't think anyone would mind. I salute anyone who can climb the ranks but just be careful who you give a shot in the ribs to when you pass them.

Don't want to pick on a single folder when you're pumping out a ton WU's.

/drawing line is sand

Catch me, and I'll let my machines fold for you for a month.

Cheers,

Wedo

Old 06-24-02, 03:30 PM   #8
nikhsub1

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally posted by Wedo

Cheers,

Wedo
Promise?

Old 06-24-02, 04:37 PM   #9
NedClocker

Quote:
As long as they fold for team 32, I don't think anyone would mind. I salute anyone who can climb the ranks but just be careful who you give a shot in the ribs to when you pass them.

Don't want to pick on a single folder when you're pumping out a ton WU's.

/drawing line is sand

Cheers,

Wedo
That's a BIG prize! But it brings up a good point. The points will still be going to team 32.

breadfan, I don't have a problem with you getting your friends/family to fold under your name. You would not even have to tell us, but you did and that's ok too. If those you recruit don't care about having their own personal stats, they had just as well give the points to you.

Lives of great men all remind us We can make our lives sublime,
And, departing, leave behind us Footprints on the sands of time;

Footprints, that perhaps another, Sailing o'er life's solemn main,
A forlorn and shipwrecked brother, Seeing, shall take heart again.

Let us, then, be up and doing, With a heart for any fate;
Still archieving, still pursuing, Learn to labor and to wait.
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
NedClocker is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-24-02, 05:54 PM   #10
BBigJ

10 Year Badge

Go ahead and take the credit. No one minds.

Pleiades:
Opteron 144<>Abit AN8 ULTRA<>2*512M Kingston HyperX pc3200<>Aopen GF6600<>sb live 5.1<>2*60g HD<>2*320g Raid1<>Cooler Master 450W ACLY<>Thermalright XP-90C
both chips cab2e's running at 300*8 stock voltage (yes, they will go much faster, but I want them to last)

ASK ME ABOUT FOLDING
BBigJ is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-24-02, 06:06 PM   #11
krazykraut

the ONLY question is who realy cares about points.
THE ONLY PEOPLES POINTS I CARE ABOUT ARE THE 700 OR MORE I PASSED USING 1 COMP WHERE ARE THEY!!!!!
krazykraut is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-24-02, 07:02 PM Thread Starter   #12
Breadfan
Inactive Moderator

Cool! Thanks guys! I had similar feelings, but I wasn't completely sure so I figured best way to know is to ask.

Mike

Old 06-24-02, 07:40 PM   #13
CoolLion

Quote:
/drawing line is sand

Cheers,

Wedo
Even if the one catching you is from the other team
CoolLion is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-24-02, 09:20 PM   #14
NedClocker

Quote:
Originally posted by CoolLion

Even if the one catching you is from the other team
Uhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I kinda doubt it.

I wish I could catch him!

Old 06-24-02, 09:21 PM   #15
NedClocker

Quote:
Originally posted by krazykraut
the ONLY question is who realy cares about points.
THE ONLY PEOPLES POINTS I CARE ABOUT ARE THE 700 OR MORE I PASSED USING 1 COMP WHERE ARE THEY!!!!!
I wish we knew. I wish we had them back.

Old 06-24-02, 09:31 PM   #16
Matthew1001

I have recruited one person but I think he stopped folding.
Matthew1001 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-24-02, 09:47 PM   #17
Mr B
Senior Admin Emeritus

10 Year Badge

The only downside to creating new usernames for "alliances" is that it makes us look like we have fewer "Users" (percentage wise) Folding. We're already at a quite low number, percentagewise, because of people inadvertantly misspelling usernames, and not noticing right away, etc....

If the name could be changed, without creating a new account, I'd be all for it... But IMHO, it makes it look like we have a small percentage of a large number of accounts "active".

We (as of the last update) currently have 1123 Users, 357 Active, 31.8% Accounts Active. A ton of those "inactive" accounts are accidental, or goofin on people by creating an account as a joke...

It just makes it look like there's only a few of us that are active...

My $.02

B.

Old 06-24-02, 09:57 PM   #18
Malakai
Disabled

i say have em fold under your username, unless its another forum member

if i recruit my uncle when he gets DSL than im gonna put him under mine.
i wanted to redo my name when i found out u didnt need (www.overclockers.com) in the username, but i didnt wanna lose my like 40 points:P

fold away
Malakai is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-24-02, 10:03 PM   #19
gtsimmo

Yes but lets not forget that our active CPU base has grown from 800 active processor to 1029 active processors within the last month.
It might appear as we have less users but we do have more CPU counts.
gtsimmo is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-24-02, 10:06 PM   #20
Matthew1001

Quote:
Originally posted by gtsimmo
Yes but lets not forget that our active CPU base has grown from 800 active processor to 1029 active processors within the last month.
It might appear as we have less users but we do have more CPU counts.
I noticed that the other day also. Isn't it great. That is 229 more processors. That is a great step forward. It has shown in the race with Rage also.
Matthew1001 is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Overclockers.com Teams > Folding Team
Folding Team Join the Overclockers.com Protein-Folding Team and support medical research!