• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who has the cheapest system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sniper.nkc

This will be my first rig and I want the bare minimum. I don't want to spend alot of money becuase I want to save my money for second rig. I like to play on-line games like Rainbow 6 and Counter-Strike. Can you tell me what is the cheapest parts I can get and still be happy with performance? So Far, I can get a system for about $330 at mwave.com. Here's the info:

Enlight 7237/300 Middle Tower W/300 ATX PS: $48
Asus A7N266/PA MB Bundle W/ Cooling Fan & XP 1600+ and Mwave 256MB Non-ECC PC2100, assembled and tested: $255.02
Sub Total: $303.02
S/H: $28.56

Grand Total: $331.58

I have a 6 GB Mator HD and Win 98. Will this rig be fast and allow me to get an edge to play R6 and CS? Do you have another suggestion?:confused:

What vid card do you have? Also, what Net connection do you have?

The PC above is more than enough to play R6 (not sure about CS because I don't play that one), but the vid card and the Net connection needs to be good too.

A good budget card that'll work with R6 is the GF2 MX400 (less than $100). I have an ABIT Siluro GF2 MX400 64M and it works great with R6 and other 1st-person shooters like MOHAA and Ghost Recon.

But if you're playing online, you'll need high-speed Net if you want an edge. I have a 56k, and sometimes it lags, so players with high-speed will see you first and of course, finish you off first too.

I have Road Runner high speed cable modem, plus I was gonna use the integrated video on mobo, G-Force 2 MX core processor. Will this work or should I get the Vid Card you suggested? Thanks for reply.

If the integrated video on your mobo is a GeForce2MX chipset, then you'll be able to run 3D games well, especially with that much CPU behind it! Rainbow 6 and Counter-Strike aren't really very demanding by today's graphic standards, and they should burn rubber on your system.

G.

Hmm, I don't know a lot about integrated vid cards, but the one I mention is a GeForce2 MX (I think it's the same as the one you mentioned). Here's the full name:

ABIT Siluro GeForce2 MX400 64MB

But if its the same then it'll run well for sure. Gersen is right, R6 isn't that power hungry. I'm able to run it on my secondary PC, an ABIT BE6 with Celeron 433.

You should be able to kick some @SS with that setup. Now the only thing you need is an accurate shooting hand. :D

Back