• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob looking at doing a build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Peebles24

Registered
I have previously assembled one pc kinda. For my son this Christmas i bought a hp pro 6300 with a i5 3570 and 16gb ram and put it in a corsair case. With it being a propriety board the build was a nightmare. It runs good though with a zotac 1060 6gb gpu. He can play everything he wants and it looks pretty good i think.

But.... now i have the bug. I want to do a full build and some overclocking. I dont even play pc games. I do play several supercell games on my phone.

Here is what im looking at doing. I may play final fantasy on it and maybe even some first person shooter games.

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($259.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML240R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.89 @ OutletPC)
Thermal Compound: Cooler Master - ThermalFusion 400 4 g Thermal Paste ($15.90 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z390 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($158.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($289.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi - 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.88 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING Video Card ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Thermaltake - V200 Tempered Glass RGB Edition ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake - Smart Pro RGB 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($98.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1502.49

Input please. Will it oc to 5.0 stable. What will it be capable of?

I was planning a ssd just couldnt figure out how to put it on that PCPartPicker list. Was thinking a 240gb and a optane thing too.

1060 is a good card, but the rest of the specs seem overbuilt comparatively. I know you don't really game much, but if you start you may outgrow that card fairly quickly. Do you already have peripherals? What monitor are you planning to use? What other uses do you have in mind for this system?

Agree with the above suggestions.

For sure, go SSD. A hard drive will bottleneck that system. I agree that 16GB (still considered a big amount) is plenty for your needs. With that savings, get a good SSD.

I personally don't go for fancy lights on a case. I like to pay attention to what's on my monitors. Fancy facades tend to get old pretty quick once the novelty and newness wears off. Plus, fancy lights do nothing for performance, consume some energy, generate some heat and do nothing for performance (worth repeating).

But I would not get that case for another reason - no removable, washable air filters. I like Fractal Design cases.

Having said all that - since you don't play games, you are spending a lot of money on a Ferrari just to drive around the block.

Isnt the 2060 out running 1070tis regularly

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I am not sure how cpu graphics card intensive final fantasy 13 and 15 are. I was planning on using my 42" plasma to play on.

Who doesnt want to drive a ferrari around the block :)

I understand, i do f class 1000 yard rifle competition and i hate pulling out my full custom kelbly 284 win and load testing at 200 yard. The 12-42x nightforce scope cost more than most rifles and just seems like wasted barrel life.

Last edited:
2060/1070Ti are about neck and neck.. Wins some, loses some.

42" means nothing... I am assuming it is 1920x1080 resolution?

Who doesnt want to drive a ferrari around the block
I'd love to. But I would also want to take it out on the open highway and let it stretch its legs, and through the mountains to see how it handles the curves.

Plasma is 600hz i believe, and it is 1080p not sure of the x by x number.

Only ever had one Thermaltake power supply and it failed

I try to stick with Seasonic or EVGA power as I have had great luck with both those brands

you should be able to find something in your price point as well

I agree, sacrifice 16 Mb's of memory for a fast boot drive

If you live close to a Micro Center you could save 30 bucks on the board with the CPU / board combo deal

Sorry I misread that one for 1060, you can disregard my comments on that front, I haven't reviewed the benchmarks for the 2060s.

Definitely with Witchdoctor on the PSU. There are two companies that make excellent PSUs, SuperFlower and Seasonic. A lot of brands will re-badge their products for higher end models, and use less robust manufacturers on the lower end of the brand. If you want to overclock you want a strong PSU to support that. Take a gander at this thread: https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/589708-Recommended-PSU-s-True-Tested

Psu isnt much difference in price in the 750 850 range so thank you. I put a corsair in my sons.

No one is really saying how this setup should run. Numbers wise what do you think?

Pics of my sons pc i built.

Attachments

• 20181219_170455-3024x2268.jpg
    20181219_170455-3024x2268.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 145
  • 20181219_102916-2268x3024.jpg
    20181219_102916-2268x3024.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 145
  • 20181219_170513-2268x3024.jpg
    20181219_170513-2268x3024.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 143
thats a nice clean build ;)

your parts list looks solid after removing the 16gb of memory and adding a 500gb or 1tb ssd. it should be a really well balanced system.
asfor numbers itll depend on the gpu you go with as far as performance goes. @ that res with a 2060 or 1070ti it should game very nicely and bench relatively well. you have to keep in mind there are much faster cpus and gpus that your rig will be compared against in benchmarks. so keep that in mind when your running 3dmark etc... this is ocforums baby, crank that badboy up and ignore the old farts telling you to get off their lawns hehe.

Pics of my sons pc i built.
Nice to see such a "tidy" cable management job! :) Not only does good cable management present a more professional appearance, good cable management makes it easier to keep the interior clean of heat trapping dust, and promotes better air flow (or at least minimizes restricting that desired air flow). :thup:

Back