• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NAV Corporate Edition et al

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kartman

Yesterday, I helped a friend build a new PC before I went to work. He decided on the AT7 route instead of following in my footsteps with the IT7. He did go with Windows XP Profession on my suggestion as did he with Nortal AntiVirus Corporate Edition.

For some reason, he is running into a problem I am not. Having a spare hard drive on my PC, I installed XPpro again and then proceeded to install NAV Corp. Edit. The problem he is having that I am not is when he does a LiveUpdate.

When I do a LiveUpdate I have no problems and if there is one it installs the new definition file. When my friend attempts to do this it gets to the stage of downloading the new virus definition file and immediately stops, erroring out.

Before leaving to go to work, I wrote down the error message (hope I got it correct):

"LiveUpdate detected a problem while retrieving the update(s). The update(s) will not be installed onto your computer. Run LiveUpdate again."

Initially, I though it was ZoneAlarm 3.0 Pro, but while at work I directed my friend to modify ZA3pro to not load at Windows start, thus insuring ZA was not blocking anything, including downloads. He mention on the phone that the RealTime File System Protect also wasn't loading, but that turned out to be an update necessity, which we resolved.

He has since uninstalled and re-installed LiveUpdate two more times all with the same results. I have no problems doing this on my spare drive, but now I'm too scared to experiment on my primary drive fearing I'll lose my ability to acquire future updates.

I had thought about suggesting to him to simply take back the software and get it exchanged, but I thought I'd ask folks on here if they knew what might be going on. We did do a thorough virus scan on his hard drive, but it came up clean.

Ideas? :confused:

Update

Ok, I had the evening off so I went back over to my friend's house. After being frustrated all afternoon, my friend decided to expeiment and follow my lead. We dumped XPpro and installed Windows 98 SE on his new PC. What a shame. :D

Anyways, once Windows 98 Second Edition was installed we went through the BS and did all the boring updates, fixes, etc. and then installed NAV Corporate Edition. Guess what? It had no problem doing the updates that could be done on his new PC with XP! WTF? :mad:

Ok, so I already have a slanted view of AMD (not advocating Intel either), but there isn't any difference between his new PC and mine except for case, mobo (AT7 vs. IT7), processor, and DVD-ROM drive. Everything else, EVERYTHING ELSE, is the bloody same.

So, anyone have any ideas? I told him I give up, apologized for suggesting the corp. edit., and asked that he attempt to take it back (actually, return it, as its a license, via etailer) and get the NAV2002 and see if that works.

Historically, I never liked NAV (or any AV for that matter) as I don't usually find myself in positions to be abused. I only got NAV Corporate Edition because a coworker showed me how unobtrusive the corp. edit. was compared to the consumer version. Now, my original views are reinstated. :mad:

Time to go get liquored up. :beer: :beer:

I have winxp pro on an AMD xp processor and NAV pro 7.6 and when I first installed it live update would not work. It was a problem with live update not detecting my internet connection. Check the help sections on the Symantec web site.

Maddman,

Thanks for the informative URL. Had a look, found a link I thought 'might' be the problem, and it was confirmed. It turned out to be that the LiveUpdate Client needed to be updated!

Look here for the instructions on how to handle it.

I guess I never realized that I had already done the LiveUpdate Client update whereas my friend did not. Still, its wierd that the XP envrionment prohibited the updating of the virus definition file while a 98 environment allowed it to progress.

Anyways, I feel like an amateur but my friend is just happy. Now, if I can just get him to read these boards ...

Back