• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1/2" Barbs for Via Aqua 1300?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to make my first WCing system, and a cheap pump would be lovely. I'm looking into using the Via Aqua 1300. I know the pump is submersible, so it would come in handy, since I'm going to be building a bong cooler, not using a radiator.

My question: Is there any way to get 1/2" barbs onto the Via Aqua 1300? It comes with 5/8" and 3/4" barbs only.

If you're gonna be using 1/2" tubing, 5/8" barbs would work fine with some boiling water.

I know you're on a budget and such, but I'd really recommend a better pump. You've got classies access, I coulda sworn I saw some pumps going there.

It has 1/2" NPT threads on the pump so replacement barbs can be found anywhere. Some teflon tape and your set for barb replacement. Be careful tightening down the barbs, you should only go until they are just past snug anything more will crack the housing(which will fix pretty easily with JB weld).

The Via Aqua 1300 definetly isn't a bad pump at all. Once everything is bled its fairly quiet and I know it can push a system with a 120.3 rad without to much trouble. Also the only other pumps that could be better for what you are doing is maybe something like the Ehiem 1250/1260 as your average DC pumps doesn't do submerged.

speed bump said:
It has 1/2" NPT threads on the pump so replacement barbs can be found anywhere. Some teflon tape and your set for barb replacement. Be careful tightening down the barbs, you should only go until they are just past snug anything more will crack the housing(which will fix pretty easily with JB weld).

The Via Aqua 1300 definetly isn't a bad pump at all. Once everything is bled its fairly quiet and I know it can push a system with a 120.3 rad without to much trouble. Also the only other pumps that could be better for what you are doing is maybe something like the Ehiem 1250/1260 as your average DC pumps doesn't do submerged.

All right, thanks for the info speed bump.

It is 1/2" NPT on both the inlet and outlet. The only problem being that the threaded doesn't start until a bit of a ways down on both so you will need to use water-proof epoxy if you want a perfect seal. I had to use Loctite Stik'n Seal to get thread adapter bushings added to it.
0061.jpg
Not as much of an issue if you plan to run it submerged though. If you want a 1/2" NPT to 1/2" OD barb fitting I have couple black nylon ones I could mail you so you don't have to order a bag full.

OK Captain Slug, thanks for the threading info, I guess I'll have to get something to seal it...shouldn't be too bad at all.

I'll shoot you a PM about the barbs.

Back