• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.35v vs 1.5v OC the same?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dtrunk

I was originally wondering if 4gb was enough for gaming, as this Ballistic Tactical ram is OC/SMOKING my Vengeance kit. but after testing i decided 8gb was needed.

i have this kit for benching / test system http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?imodule=BLT2KIT2G3D1608DT1TX0 and it clocks like a boss. 1833 8-8-8-24-2n @ 1.64v or 2000 8-8-8-24-2n @ 1.7v; and i've taken it to 1.8v.

I'm considering this kit for my gaming PC http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148486

but saw this kit instead http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148656

I'm wondering if the 1.35v kit would OC better (or just mayb offer 1833 at 1.5v or 2k @ 1.7v?)as the voltage starts lower, but then mayb it uses different chips and they don't perform as well?? does the lower voltage memory still have the capacity to reach high voltage or is the max volts also dropped? input?

Last edited:
The lower voltage kit is rated at 1.35v only because it can do the stock clocks at that vdimm, that's all. You can have higher rated kits with different ram chips inside that destroy it. It all depends on what you want, not exactly what you need cause it makes little difference overall. If you like to have the best of the best performance wise, the best ram atm is high clocked Samsung HYKO ic based, and comes with expensive modules or the cheapish 1.35v Samsung ones.
You can outperform those even oced to the max with older ram, but those are only 2gb modules.

The micron kit you listed is good, better suited for AMD rigs because of the limited imc which can't benefit from higher than 2133mhz ram clocks, but instead likes tighter timings at lower clocks. Moocow always sells awesome benching ram in the classies here, but normally 2gb modules, you can also find bnib Avexir ram in ebay, which will clock real good if you're lucky (around 2400mhz cl7 with 1.75v)

I was originally wondering if 4gb was enough for gaming, as this Ballistic Tactical ram is OC/SMOKING my Vengeance kit. but after testing i decided 8gb was needed.

i have this kit for benching / test system http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?imodule=BLT2KIT2G3D1608DT1TX0 and it clocks like a boss. 1833 8-8-8-24-2n @ 1.64v or 2000 8-8-8-24-2n @ 1.7v; and i've taken it to 1.8v.

I'm considering this kit for my gaming PC http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148486

but saw this kit instead http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148656

I'm wondering if the 1.35v kit would OC better (or just mayb offer 1833 at 1.5v or 2k @ 1.7v?)as the voltage starts lower, but then mayb it uses different chips and they don't perform as well?? does the lower voltage memory still have the capacity to reach high voltage or is the max volts also dropped? input?

1.35V are from new series. Slightly different IC so also available in 8GB sticks. Here is my 2x8GB review. You can expect similar oc from most of these kits but really it's not guaranteed. Some are overclocking better, some worse. On 4GB sticks you should be able to set some tighter sub timings.
These new series are not scalling with voltage so high so you can expect ~1.65V max. My 2x8GB kit ended up on ~1.62V. Crucial Elite series ( also your tactical ) were scalling up to 1.8-1.9V.
Even though they are not working with high voltage then are overclocking nearly the same just on lower voltage.
There are also 3-4 different Micron IC that fit into this memory specification so I don't think that anyone will guarantee exact IC in each kit.

Better sticks can make 1600 7-7-7 1.50-1.55V , 1866 8-8-8 1.50-1.55V, 2133 9-9-9 1.55-1.65V , sometimes 2200 10-10-10 ~1.65V and some best can hit 2400 11-11-11 1.65V. My kits couldn't pass 2200 but Bobnova had some luck with his and made 2400 11-11-11 1.65V.

If you want RAM for benching then best results on most boards have Hynix CFR kits 2133+ that are quite cheap or if you find samsungs but something like 2400 CL9. Samsungs are ok but too random and some kits have really bad sub timings. Some boards don't really like samsungs that's why I said that Hynix IC is generally better. Also Hynix can easier make high clocks and even with more relaxed main timings, sub timings are usually set better or can be tunned better for higher performance ( that's at least my experience ).

1.35V are from new series. Slightly different IC so also available in 8GB sticks. Here is my 2x8GB review. You can expect similar oc from most of these kits but really it's not guaranteed. Some are overclocking better, some worse. On 4GB sticks you should be able to set some tighter sub timings.
These new series are not scalling with voltage so high so you can expect ~1.65V max. My 2x8GB kit ended up on ~1.62V. Crucial Elite series ( also your tactical ) were scalling up to 1.8-1.9V.
Even though they are not working with high voltage then are overclocking nearly the same just on lower voltage.
There are also 3-4 different Micron IC that fit into this memory specification so I don't think that anyone will guarantee exact IC in each kit.

Better sticks can make 1600 7-7-7 1.50-1.55V , 1866 8-8-8 1.50-1.55V, 2133 9-9-9 1.55-1.65V , sometimes 2200 10-10-10 ~1.65V and some best can hit 2400 11-11-11 1.65V. My kits couldn't pass 2200 but Bobnova had some luck with his and made 2400 11-11-11 1.65V.

If you want RAM for benching then best results on most boards have Hynix CFR kits 2133+ that are quite cheap or if you find samsungs but something like 2400 CL9. Samsungs are ok but too random and some kits have really bad sub timings. Some boards don't really like samsungs that's why I said that Hynix IC is generally better. Also Hynix can easier make high clocks and even with more relaxed main timings, sub timings are usually set better or can be tunned better for higher performance ( that's at least my experience ).

Not to mention that Hynix CFR can scale with voltage more and even appreciate cold if properly tweaked. I've seen really tight timings at high clocks on cold with those.

so, conclusion; though the 1.35v kits hit lower max voltage, they can "usually" offer just as good of an OC. great info.

so i'm looking at this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...deValue=524:30548&PropertyCodeValue=524:38355 and see lots of options.

For my gaming rig; looking for a 2x4gb kit to 24/7 OC to 2000(ish) and with decent timings, budget is around $60. i tried reading up on the hynix chips, but it seems like a gamble. The Balistix seem to preform very well in every review.

what would you guys suggest? (my theme is red/black; i am willing to repaint something.)

i feel like just outright buying a 2400 kits is cheating. I'm sure the IB i5-3570k best performs somewhere around 2k mhz memory speed, so the idea was to buy a decent 1866 or 1600 kit and try to OC that to 2k or 2.2k. isn't 2400mhz just overkill? but considering the difference is usually about $10.... i guess i could just buy the faster kit to begin with.

are memory ICs binned like CPU silicon? thinking from the manufacturing standpoint here. would a memory company by say chips binned at 1866 and make their 1600/1866 series, then buy IC binned at 2200 and make their 2k and 2.2k mhz series? does it work like that? I sort of feel like there is a gap somewhere to exploit and trying to find it, like chips that will do and are made for 2400 but are sold 2k or something?

i like some of the mem kits you linked, just some are in blue. blah. still looking around. those trident x look epic but are they HUGE? not really in to huge ram, though i have mucho space. tracers from crucial are pretty neat; any1 know if they offer full on with no blinking/pattern?

Trident x aren't huge, and they come nicely binned, also the top red fin is detachable. Avexir makes nice ram aswell, but what matters most is the ic and then the binning. The ic is rated lower by the manufacturer normally and then 'overclocked' by g.skill f.ex. to meet certain clocks within a desired voltage without having errors.

Edit: btw, buying higher bin ram isn't cheating...who would determine that? It's less of a gamble, and will guarantee certain clocks and to a certain extent a more or less known behavior when oced. You can always buy generic hch9 samsung from ebay but those come in single stick config and you have to bin a few to get a good matched pair of 4gb sticks (20usd a pop)

Companies buy a whole bunch of IC's rated to 1333mhz then bin them from there.

Generally speaking the higher the bin is the better clocks you will get.
You may go through 100 sets of 1600mhz sticks and not hit 2400mhz while you can buy a 2400mhz set right off the bat and be guaranteed to hit those speeds 24/7.

I'd stay away from the 2400mhz 10-12-12 sticks as they are some mystery IC and there is no way to guarantee how they will do.

^ but none come in red or black(ish)... any1 know what ic mushkin blackline 2133 is? gskill sniper 2133?

wow@ most of these being 1333mhz chips... if that is the case, crazy.

Last edited:
hehe yeah! :p Binning works that way...Same story for cpus.

Get trident x if they match your desired color scheme, after all you're not 100% focused on max overclocks and benching, or are you?

are memory ICs binned like CPU silicon? thinking from the manufacturing standpoint here. would a memory company buy say chips binned at 1866 and make their 1600/1866 series, then buy IC binned at 2200 and make their 2k and 2.2k mhz series? does it work like that?
Memory module companies are rarely that strict and are more likely to overclock chips rather than run them at factory recommended ratings or slower. So no, memory ICs aren't binned like CPU silicon, which is binned much more strictly and almost always only by its manufacturer.

^ but none come in red or black(ish)... any1 know what ic mushkin blackline 2133 is? gskill sniper 2133?

It's the norm for 1333 MHz chips (Samsung or Hynix speed grade H9) to be in 2133 MHz modules.

Yeah, not too big a problem really...Thing is buying sticks that you'll be happy with, that's why I'd reccomend against lower bins like 1600 or 1866 if you're after 2400mhz with good timings.

Mushkin 2133 Black and Red were Hynix BFR and newer CFR. Difference is only that Black are CL10 1.50V and Red CL9 1.65V but both should OC the same.

Newer 2133+ kits are mainly based on 1600 IC and binned from that point. It's easy to check as SPD will be 1600 not 1333 and XMP 2133+.

I mean that blacklines and redlines 2133 2x4GB 10-11-10 and 9-11-10 are probably the same without changes for longer so should be still on Hynix CFR.

Last edited:
I've seen them 9-11-9 for quite low prices...wonder how good they would do, I need to get a 4x4gb kit for my gf. Enough OT :p

What about generic hch9 from fleebay? Is there any generic CFR that clocks good? Haven't bumped into anything like that yet...

Personally, I stay away from generic / lower binned stuff and get the guaranteed good sticks right away. Worst case you sell them off and someone buys them for what you paid or at least very close. Low end memory doesn't have that guarantee if you intend on binning them.

Like bart has said, most of the 2133mhz hynix-based sticks will do what you need them to do.

Back