• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.39 core voltage ok for an i5 8600k?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oldmangamer

Hi there. Have been running at the above settings for about a year. Updated my bios a few weeks ago and just noticed that my CPU was no longer overclocked.

I'm going to overclock again and was looking at settings on the net to refresh my memory. Some people say 1.39 is too high for daily use, others say anything below 1.40 is ok, others say you can go a bit higher.

Bottom line, is 1.39 ok for everyday use for i5 8600k? I would note my temps are good staying below 80 celsius under load.

Also, I never knew about CCL before and saw in a video where that should be set around the middle setting, never fooled around with that before.

Thanks much friends.

Updating the bios resets it all as you put a new bios on it. Normal.

1.39V is about the end where I personally feel comfortable. When you say 80C load... what is load? A stress test? Gaming? The goal is to keep that copu under 90c stress testing. It throttles at 100c and sometimes instability can creep in between that.

What is CCL? Do mean LLC? If so, there isnt a specific setting. Its point is to minimize vdroop. Whatever setting does that is where you should set it. You also do not have to use it either. ;)

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes 80 is running the stress test in CPU-Z. Yes I meant LLC, sorry about that, and I think it is better if I just set that to Auto rather than fool around with it.

Now that I think about it that temp sounds higher than I remember. i just had to replace the fan on my Cryorig H5 today, I may need to reapply the thermal paste and reseat it to check.

I will do that and I might fool around with lowering the OC to 475 and see what voltage i need for that. I guess 250 mhz for bragging rights maybe isn't worth it if I could reduce the stable voltage substantially.

Thanks much!

I would certainly not rely on the CPU-z stress test to confirm overclock stability and max temps. Try AIDA64 or Realbench. Those two won't produce extreme temps like Prime95 but are sufficiently intense to give some assurance of stability.

I was running at 5 ghz at 1.39 volts for the last year but did have the occasional crash. I thought I fixed the stability issues by updating the bios lol. I am going to see if I can get it running at 475 ghz or something at 1.35 volts and will download Realbench to test out whatever I end up with. Thanks again friends!

Settled on 4.8 ghz at 1.35 voltage. Passed the bench mark on Realbench and temps stayed below 75. Will see how that works out of me. Thanks again.

The benchmark takes like minutes to run... that really wouldnt be considered stable.

Run the stress test for a few hours. ;)

Back