• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1*8 gb ram stick vs 2*8 gb ram sticks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anthony122425

I have run into trouble as i ordered 2*4gb ram sticks but showed up with only one stick of 8gb....I was wanting some clarification on running one stick, is it safe for the motherboard to run only one for right now, as later on i will get another stick but dont have any money rn. Thank you for the help.

There is no issue running a single stick. Just verify with your manual as to which slot it should be in. It may run slightly slower in single channel but no worries.

To expand on the above, the ram should still run at its rated speed if the mobo supports it, but you lose out on dual channel bandwidth from a single module. There will be a preferred slot, but generally it doesn't matter much.

Youll want two sticks and dual channel. It will work fine, but you want to be running dual.

Id reach out to that place and get the right stuff sent.

Youll want two sticks and dual channel. It will work fine, but you want to be running dual.

Id reach out to that place and get the right stuff sent.

This. If you deploy what was sent you it will be used and the company you purchased it from might balk at a return.

.... or just order another 8 GB stick for 16 GB in dual channel.

.... or just order another 8 GB stick for 16 GB in dual channel.

That will probably work but it's always best to get them as a matched pair so that you know they came from the same production batch. At least that used to be conventional wisdom.

Always best.. but what can you do except for see if they will ship the right parts if it was their mistake.

Op hasnt been back... :(

I have one rig that has 2 dead ram slots, I still run two sticks of 8 gig in it, now that it's out of my mind it's really quite fine, if I was to bench it I would notice but in daily driver/rendering on a gpu I just don't. you'll be fine.

Back