• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1 board, 2 Cards & A Tiny Bit Of Confuison

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheQuadFather

i have a problem, i wish to install 2x 1GB XFX HD 4890 OC's ( In Crossfire ) into my Asus M4A785TD-V EVO, it has 2 pic-e slots and will psyically take the two cards but the problem lies in some contridicting reviews i have read, according to manufacturer the 2 slots both run at x16 but accroding to many reviews 1 runs at x16 and the other at x4.. help! :(

IIRC.... you can set the speed you want on each card in the BIOS. I mean the number of x# (# = number of lanes) you can set. If you have the high-end Asus board, then you should be able to set both cards each to x16, but if you don't then the highest you can do to BOTH cards each is x8 or change them to where you can have one at x16 and the other at x4.

At a guess, considering implementations on other modern ASUS boards, I'd say yours is the 2x8 arrangement. Most true 2x16 configurations have 3-4 PCIe slots for graphics. ASUS does have exceptions to that rule but only for older (s939/AM2) boards ...

Back