• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1 shroud/fan or 2????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Larry Quinn

I've noticed that a lot of people are going fan/shroud/rad/shroud/fan

Setup in a push/pull config.

It would seem that by limiting the intake area to only 120mm (the size of the fan on the intake side of the rad)
you would create a smaller area in the radiator in which the lowest temps reside.
(Asume the radiator is larger than the radiator hence the need for the shroud)

A "Cold Spot" so to speak....

Compare this to a single fan/shroud sucking air through the radiator where the entire surface of the radiator is exposed to the "cold" airflow.

I was planning on a single Delta 120 mm fan (high flow screamer)

But my plans aren't carved into stone yet....

what are the benifits of these 2 setups?

Larry

Larry I can tell you that at first I have 1 shroud (on the pull side) and the heater core butted up against a 120mm fan pushing into the core with no shroud. I got another shroud for push/pull and had a 1-2C lower temp with 2 rather than just 1. If it is worth the time and $$ to have 2 shrouds for 1-2C, then go for it.

i got better temps using a push pull panaflo M series 120mm 86cfm fans with 2x shrouds then 1x delta scremer pushing threw--- There also 1/4 the noise-

Oh...I have no intentions of setting up the fan to PUSH air thru the RAD..

That's WRONG....I plan on having it PULL air through the rad.

I.E. the fan is on the "Hot" side of the rad.

You want the fan to create an area of low pressure on the "Hot" side of the rad so that air is pulled uniformly through the Rad.

Back