• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

10 Easy Steps For Better PC's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
DrSpanky said:
i make that 15 steps not 10 :p

There's always one... :rolleyes:

This thread originally started as 10 steps, but grew as I had ideas and/or came across other peoples and included them into my little guide.

I really should get a Mod to change the name of it, but they do enough without me being a royal pain in the ***... if anyone's got a decent idea for a new name, maybe "Cleaning Windows" or "Beginners Guide For Tuning Up PC's".

Updated again.

Added a brief bit about MSConfig (section 7a) by popular demand.

I also put down how to change the pretty Win XP graphics back to a more reliable (and faster) Win2k layout. A part so long and boring that it takes up 3 sections.

Last edited:
Captain Slug said:
If you want it stuck you'll need to PM a moderator (Jon, maddman, or ridenow)

I'm not fussed if it sticks- but as far as I'm concerned, There's a long way to go yet- once my term's finished (about 4 weeks, gotta love University holidays :D ) I'll put screenshots and extra goodies in there.

As long as there's somewhere to point the N00b's when they say they havn't done ANYTHING to their system (not even Defrag'd- it happened yesterday).

But thanks for the compliment :beer:

Remember NooB's, Windows XP needs 15% hard drive space FREE to run disk defragmenter on that drive ;)

...so if you want to defrag regularly like you should, you need to keep your HD fairly clean.

Really? I knew DeFrag used a bit of HD space but 15%

Wow, but when you think of it- even El Cheapo PC's like Dell have something like 120Gig of HD... something most people have trouble filling- I've only got an 60gig WD in here- and there's LOADS of space left. Over 70% I think.
The only thing that chews up loads of space (apart from windows) is the small (8gig) partition that I use for ghost/backup of my work and ahem personal files.

The people who use up all their HD space with todays 'modern' machines tend to know about the need to De-Frag anyway.

But cheers for pointing that out, I'll stick that in somewhere. ;)

[EDIT]
That little note added.
looks like I need to sort out the list- it's looking a bit messy.

Last edited:
Back