• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1000W required for crossfire?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

data1

Hi
i have M4A89GTD PRO , mobo and when i read about the crossfire power requirements i was shocked. the manual says: "if you want to use two high-end PCI Express 16x cards, use a PSU with 1000W power or above to ensure the system stability."

though ATIs site says something like 650 W is enough. and i have that. (Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W)
so will this be enough for two sapphire 4850 ?? does anyone know?

another question, what if its not enough will my computer explode?

ty

System:
Athlon II x4 630
4 HD drives
DVD-drive
3 GB ram
two HD 4850 cards
mobo: M4A89GTD PRO
PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W

Last edited:
in all fairness i think ull be fine with a 650w it seems liek a decent enough PSU u got. the 4850's aint exactly power hungry cards. I tink maybe the recommendations are overcompensating as some psu's can be a high W but absolutly poo. My 850 cost me about £120 but i doubt there is a card that it couldn't run in SLI. so i tink ull be fine :). someone correct me if im wrong :)

ROFLMAO, it wont explode.

And a 650W PSU for your system should be enough. The 4850 is not considered a high end card to begin with.

Marketing BS. They just want you to spend more money. Any card with the PCIE logo on the box is only allowed to use 300W. Even a 4870x2 only uses 270W. 650W is plenty for your hardware.

Well, blowing a PSU can't qualify as an "explosion", but sometimes it pops quite loud.

But yeah, 650w is more than enough for your setup, unless you had that power supply on for the last 5 years.

Cheers! :)

the worst ive had from a PSU is it literally spurting out smoke when i turned it on, but that was a £15 one for a budget build, XD didnt expect much tbh. Burning computer parts are fun hehe:bday:

It's not a bad idea for them to do so, really.
A cheap 1kw PSU may only put out 600w, after all.

thx for the replies.

i just hope this PSU has overload protection just to be sure.

thx for the replies.

i just hope this PSU has overload protection just to be sure.

I'm pretty sure it does. Antec have been making PSUs for twice as long as most other companies out there these days. It's a good quality PSU you have there. :cool:

Hi
i have M4A89GTD PRO , mobo and when i read about the crossfire power requirements i was shocked. the manual says: "if you want to use two high-end PCI Express 16x cards, use a PSU with 1000W power or above to ensure the system stability."

though ATIs site says something like 650 W is enough. and i have that. (Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W)
so will this be enough for two sapphire 4850 ?? does anyone know?

another question, what if its not enough will my computer explode?

ty

650W should be plenty for two 4850's, they are really good, efficient cards :)

System:
Athlon II x4 630
4 HD drives
DVD-drive
3 GB ram
two HD 4850 cards
mobo: M4A89GTD PRO
PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W

in all fairness i think ull be fine with a 650w it seems liek a decent enough PSU u got. the 4850's aint exactly power hungry cards. I tink maybe the recommendations are overcompensating as some psu's can be a high W but absolutly poo. My 850 cost me about £120 but i doubt there is a card that it couldn't run in SLI. so i tink ull be fine :). someone correct me if im wrong :)

I reckon you might just run into trouble with 2 GTX480's seeing as they are around 300W each I believe, and they were underclocked by their vendors due to a law, allowing them to be put into ready made systems :p

If you had followed the thread you would see he is talking about 4850's not 2 gtx480's!!!!

If you check, I quoted Xander, on SLI capability, not referring to the 4850's.

EDIT: petteyg359 hit the nail on the head with what I was trying to say, my bad, I didn't read it :p

If you check, I quoted Xander, on SLI capability, not referring to the 4850's.

EDIT: petteyg359 hit the nail on the head with what I was trying to say, my bad, I didn't read it :p

what in reference to my PSU or data1's 650 running 2 480gtx's? lol. was just saying what bobnova reiterated about cheap PSU's. a 1k cheap one probs wont put out nearly as much power as my 850w which i tink could run most cards sli ( its isnt the BEST ever PSU but it is certainly a dam good one, apart from the lack of an on off switch at the back! lol fail :screwy: )

Back