• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Radeon 7970 BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xerial

Hey guys! This is my first post here, and I'm really excited to be a part of this forum! This problem has been ravaging me for two weeks now; I've spent day and night trying to figure out the solution, but after hours of researching other forums and this forum, I could not find any answer (the solutions to previous problems simply didn't work for me ). So recently, my twin AMD Radeon 7970's in crossfire have been experiencing a major issue. Whenever I put a GRAPHICS load onto my computer, the screen turns dark, loses video signal, and the audio starts looping and buzzing, and the PC becomes unresponsive. The only way to get out of this is a hard restart.

My system SPECS:

MOBO: Asus Sabertooth 990FX (uses PCIe 2.0 16x slots)
CPU: AMD FX-8150 8 core CPU
Ram: Kingston HyperX BLU 2*8 GB
Video Cards: two AMD Radeon 7970 in crossfire running latest drivers after clean install
PSU: 1000W (can't remember name but it was the top notch at the store)
HDD: Samsung 256 GB SSD
Distilled water coolant

So this issue started happening about a month ago, with its severity increasing. When it first started, it would start getting black screens periodically. However, now, it shuts down whenever I apply a video load, such as CINEBENCH or Furmark or any AAA video game. The temperature that it shuts down at is always between 60-70 C (I can actually predict with great accuracy every time when it will black screen during a Furmark test). I have spent nights trying to diagnose this problem, and I have narrowed it down to strictly graphics. I ran Prime95, and set it to test only CPU/RAM, and my system never freezes. Things I have tried:

- reinstalling graphic drivers (trying every revision since 2012, made sure to properly uninstall drivers each iteration)
- reinstalling Windows OS
- using one 1 RAM stick and changing the slots
- performing a VRAM test, only the graphic cards pass with perfect results
- turning one card off by cutting power, and vice versa, and disabling crossfire and enabling it
- changing my primary video cards
- down clocking/over clocking the GPU speed and VRAM speed
- monitoring GPU, VRAM and voltage regulator temperatures
- using another monitor

Guys, I am literally stuck on this problem. I have tried everything that does not involve buying new parts and replacing them from my system. I really hope someone could help me out.

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing guys, are there any custom water-cooling computer repair services? At this point I am really desperate to revive my system. I would gladly pay to have this issue fixed without buying new components. :(

Welcome to the forums Xerial. It sounds like you're in a pretty tough predicament for sure. You've done a pretty good job of testing the system out. the only 2 suggestions I can think of is...

1. Instead of just re-installing drivers try doing a wipe of the old drivers first and then a clean install of the current (non-beta) drivers. I forget the name of the program I normally use but there are a few out there that work well for this.

2. (You're probably not going to like this one) I know you're in a custom loop and i'm assuming this would include your GPU's, but have you tried completely removing one card and then the other? My thinking here is you may have a bad PCIe slot if not GPU. Try one card in the top slot alone. Then move it down the the second, third and fourth slots. If the issue persists try the other card using the same method. I know this can be a pain in the rear with a custom loop and it'd probably be easier to mount the stock cooler on the GPU's for this if you still have them. This will help determine if it's your motherboard that needs replacing or a GPU.

Other than this I can't think of what else that can be done. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some other ideas. In the mean time I'll try and remember which Driver sweeper I've used before.

Back