• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

120mm Fans making Knocking noise.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bodyrocka03

Registered
Ok, I have 5 Yate Loon D12SH-12 on my WC loop attached to the cosmos 2 fan controller. On the low and medium settings the fans make an annoying knocking sound. On high setting, the sound goes away. Is this because the contorller? Or just a trait of the fan? I dont wanna run them on high all the damn time, only when using gaming, benching and such. I considered upgrading to gentle typhoons.

I haven't dealt with fan controllers much, but I doubt that would be the controller. It would seem to me that any knocking sounds would be because of the fan. If it stops at high speeds I would guess it's a problem with the bearings. When it goes faster it can run over any irregularities in a bearing, so the knocking would (or at least should) stop.

Is it all of the fans? Because that would be weird, but even still I would guess that it's a problem with the fans. It seems odd that a controller would make a fan knock.

yes it is all of my yate loons only, and none of the inlcuded Cooler Master's. I just thought that maybe for some odd reason the it had something to do with the voltage coming from the controller. Kinda new to fan controllers myself but i figured what the hell its part of the case i might as well use it. Ive been looking into some Noiseblockers, Gentle typhoons, SilenX, and maybe noctua's. Been trying to weigh the pros and cons of each.

Any of the Yates horizontal? They are sleeve bearings and wear out horizontally faster. And sleeve bearings were out faster in general. Cheaper to make, thus Yates are good quality but cheap to buy.

Back