• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

14C in Houston -> E6400 @ 4.0ghz on air (only 4 BNCH)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leojharris

we had a fat fat blue norther come thru.

so i opened my window and did some tinkering with my typical 24/7 3.6ghz rig ... was surprised that i hit a wall at 4.0-ish ...

temps were fine ... but for some reason i couldn't get it past 4.1 or so ... just cycled endless reboots; played with memory timings as i figured this was the culprit but ran out of time (wanted to play CS:S for at least an hour before crashing!). fun though ... took about two seconds off my superPI 1meg time:

4.1ghz.gif

so if i went to water or phase ... how would i best solve this bottleneck at 4.0 ghz?

probably the memory settings? maybe something related to northbridge or southbridge (which are at their default auto settings)?

++also ... look at the crazy cpu-z reading of 1.2 volts! funny. i've got it set at like 1.67 or so in the bios; asus tools shows the most accurate.

Probibly needed some more Vdimm applied and some active cooling on the ram.
Also possible that the SB could use a bump in voltage, I wouldn't bench with Auto voltage myself :p
Nice clock :thup:

btw.. there is a 4Ghz C2D club you can join with your SS's ;)
Did you save your validation link on your CPUz?
psst.. Ocf benchmarking team threads, Hwbot is calling for your scores ;)

greenmaji said:
Also possible that the SB could use a bump in voltage, I wouldn't bench with Auto voltage myself :p

i'll bench again tonight and validate; what's Hwbot, btw?

where's the details on the 4ghz group?

i'll mess with the ram timings some more; i wanted to try 4.2 but just wouldn't start. i've got decent active cooling on the ram ...

thanks for the word.

Why not do it at night when it was around 0C ;) Once you get to that voltage the speed increase from adding voltage is not that much. Plus there are other limitations like FSB. I didn't go much over that clock speed in the first post with water running -25C even.

ewitte said:
Why not do it at night when it was around 0C ;) Once you get to that voltage the speed increase from adding voltage is not that much. Plus there are other limitations like FSB. I didn't go much over that clock speed in the first post with water running -25C even.

it takes me room a while to chill before i run benchmarks. didn't want to wait too late ... and besides, i was in two coats and freezing. :)

gonna go again tonight and try for at least a 100% overclock. just want a postable trophy screen shot and then go back to my normal work rig speed. it is a work rig and so i hope i don't fry something.

considering the cpu has thermal control ... what are some other things i should be careful with that might kill the motherboard or memory?

greenmaji said:

just checked out those threads/groups ... i answered my own questions ... will post my scores once i do some more runs tonight ..

to the OP nice OC! makes me want a new cpu. :(

what can you run 3d at?

ewitte said:
I didn't go much over that clock speed in the first post with water running -25C even.

where i'm from, water freezes at 0c. :confused: :confused:

hUMANbEATbOX said:
makes me want a new cpu. :( what can you run 3d at?

you've got a great cpu; the 6300 chips are kick ***. some argue a better value than the 6400.

and whaddya mean 3d? as in 3dmark05/06, etc.?

greenmaji said:
here is the 4GHz C2D club thread
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=478943

And just watch your temps, and if you go over 2.2Vdimm get some active cooling for the ram.

question re ram . my mushkin ram is rated stock up to 2.1v; if i've got really low ambients and really good active air cooling, would you say it's safe to max the volts (mb limit)? i know that technically nothing is 'safe' ... but do people do it successfully? max the ram volts i mean?

Do you happen to know the IC's?
D9's on a benching rig, I would be doing a Vdimm mod to get me 2.5
but active cooling and low ambiants, I would feel safe with the boards max (IN YOUR CASE, i680 boards are nuts 2.8-3.2 LOL )

greenmaji said:
Do you happen to know the IC's?
D9's on a benching rig, I would be doing a Vdimm mod to get me 2.5
but active cooling and low ambiants, I would feel safe with the boards max (IN YOUR CASE, i680 boards are nuts 2.8-3.2 LOL )

don't know the ic's ... i suppose i would have to remove the heatspreader to find out and the 'warranty void if removed' bit gave me the willies. :)

it's fairly good mushkin extreme ... the part number is DIMM-9966522 ...

for the test, because i was getting confused with manual timings once i neared 4.0ghz ... i left the memory timings on auto.

the stock timings are 4.4.3.12 ...

i know the SPD timings are a bit looser by default than the rated timings and so since i was having trouble finding a manual timing that worked with the 4ghz setting, i simply set it to <AUTO> and it worked fine.

at first, i was trying manual settings like 5.5.4.15 and what not ... once i neared 4ghz ... and the machine was freak'n out ... making it to winxp login and the rebooting, etc; so i switched to set timings by SPD and it booted and was benchable.

thanks for the tips.

here's the latest and i think the best i'm going to get out of my cpu.

if i had the patience and wanted to spend two or three days tweaking, i'm sure i could get it higher ... but can't tie up my work machine that long.

fun though, getting to a good solid 4ghz ..

oh yeah ... the cpu temps were idling around 49C ... for some reason it didn't show up in the screen shot.

4039.gif

Back