• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

16GB = 4 Modules Or 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

Friend of mine would like 16GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM and asked me for help I was looking for him and found a few from the likes of Kingston & Corsair now there's a few with 4 modules in and one I've seen from Corsair thats only 2. Lowest 4 mod kit is from Kingston at £59 which is a very good price and I have used Kingston my self from the days of my AMD 945 DDR2 build and it was stable for the whole 2 years. Corsair then start from the lowest at £62 to £77 timings on the Kingston are 9-9-9-27 1.65v the Corsair Vengeance Blue has 9-9-9-24 1.5v

Which would you choose both Corsair and Kingston are good as I have bought RAM from both for other peoples builds and as I said I have used Kingston for personal use.

Just wanted to ask what others might think

I'd pay the extra three pounds to be keep the option of adding more sticks in the future. Otherwise, he'd have to replace all of them.

I'd pay the extra three pounds to be keep the option of adding more sticks in the future. Otherwise, he'd have to replace all of them.

Unless he is running apps or process that require a lot of ram, he likely wont need anymore than 16gig for a while. Chances are, by the time he would be ready (considering normal usage), the ram standards of type/speed/capacity/price will have changed.

I got 4 sticks totaling 16gig and i've yet to use half of it as it stands now, which means there's plenty of growth room for me.

Ive seen some argue that using all your slots makes it a bit faster as its spread out more, but im not sure if that is true, or if it would even be noticeable.

If money is no object, sure i guess he could get 2x8's, but its proly cheaper to get 4x4's and as i said, unless hes doing large stuff like database, compiling, server stuff ect, he likely wont need to upgrade before the standards change.

least that's my opinion.

My self I would of probably bought the 2 mod kit because of heat and lower power usage as some boards are twitchy when it comes to using all 4 slots (well have been for me in past builds) I'll let him know your advice and see where he goes from there.

He does an awful lot of video editing for college he has a I7 like mine but only 4GB DDR3 1333mhz RAM he's just ordered a new board and wanted to up his RAM to 8GB, I suggested going to 16gb as some websites are having sales and there not far off 8GB prices he might not use it all but least he's got headroom for future editing.

Back