• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1700+ Tbred B simple question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Freeek

Registered
Which is the safest and most used method to get the 13x,14x,15x multipliers available on a 1700+ tbred B?. I need those cause im running on a 266a chipset, no 166 fbs. no pci lock.

Please have mercy, I bought it yesterday.:D

Yes you should blow 2 bridges on the chip the 3rd L3 and the 5th L3, this will give you a default multi of x13, so you can just up it from there, this is what i did with my tbred and worked like a charm, for more info on blowing bridges go here. I strongly suggest you read the whole thing although its very long, and after you read it this will make more sense: Use the +5volts from a PSU to perform this, I didn't want to risk it with a battery.

well, I would prefer use a 9v battery or a sacto knife... using a PSU makes me scared .... another thing.. AFAIK the only bridge to blow was the last one, why you suggest the 3erd too??

No blowing the last bridge will just result in a no boot. You need to do as Coolest says. This has all been tried out before by him.

Freeek said:
well, I would prefer use a 9v battery or a sacto knife... using a PSU makes me scared .... another thing.. AFAIK the only bridge to blow was the last one, why you suggest the 3erd too??

I did 4 Tbreds with a psu, I wouldnt try it any other way.

what exactly does the blow of the 5th bridge, and what does the 3rd And the 5th? whats the difference...??

Blowing the 5th bridge changes the 8x bit from low to high however changing from an 11 multi that you have will give a no boot if you do nothing else. To get to the 13 multi you need to blow the 3rd bridge as well. (Check the painting guide)

go to the link I sent, pick the multiplier you want and it will show you which bridges need to be open and which need to be closed to set your multiplier. (it will be locked at that unless you change the bridge configuration)

ok I know , I went to that link several times, but I know of a lot of people that only blowed the last one and theyr capable of using 13.x 14x and 15 multis, using 7x(7+8), 6x(6+8) etc. is that right?
You say that blowing both it will make my multi FIXED at 13? cant go up or down?thx for your help!

Which people told you this information? Do they have an XP1700 the same as you do?
Read Coolest's post again and the thread he links to- he says he blew the two bridges and was able to adjust it from the multi of 13. There has been a lot of good work done on this by him and others so I have no reason to disbelieve it. But hey if you choose to believe others and just want to blow the last bridge then fine go ahead and see what happens - or doesnt happen as the case maybe.
I am curious though as to why you want to up the multi as you only bought the chip yesterday? You havent gave us any details of your system so we are in the dark about that.

soory ocd, my rig
msi kt266A pro2 (152fsbx12.5)1912mhz stock voltage
164 max fsb , no agp pci lock
512 pc2100 micron ram
tbred b 1700 J
radeon 9700pro

I ve read in this forum that if you blow the last bridge and then select 6x you will get 14(6+8) for changing the 8 bit signal form low to high.

What I ask is that If I blow the 3 and 5 bridge ill get a 13.x multi, thats ok... BUT, which other multi values will I be able to choose with that mod? thanks again!

Hmm you will need to find the link on this as the 14 multi is achieved by blowing 3 bridges. Having a configuration of CCCCO on your cpu (which is blowing the last L3) is the same configuration as that for the 3x multi on mobile cpu's only so I am sure you will get no boot. Maybe you should PM Coolest as he has done the ground work already on modding the XP1700 and I think he has only a KT133 so I guess his experiences would be worst case scenarios.

my BIOS supports 13 14 and 15x multis.
I ve had an unlocked palomino (L1 mod ) and i could chose any value till 12.5

i dont get why it will not work...
its true that you must set your desired multi in the BIOS before doing the mod?

The palominos up till XP2000 didnt have to worry about the 5th part of the multi - i.e. the 8x bit as it was always set to low. The Tbred you have is no different from your unlocked pally as it has access to all the multis from 5.5 to 12.5. To get a multi higher than 12.5 requires this to be set to high. You bios knows that higher speed Tbreds exist hence it shows them as available to select but you cant actually select them till the 8x bit is set to high on your system as it can only read the first 4 bits of the multi (some KT400's and NF2's can select the full range and they can read all 5 bits of the multi). As for desired multi before doing the mod I dont think it matters.

ok . i got it.I will start blowing the last bridge and see what happens
now, the final question. What´s the worst scenario in doing this? I mean, gather the 9v batt. connect the multitester to it, should i use needles? or the multitester ends are enough?

Is there anyway that I could fry my proc? besides blowing this way --- instead of this one | (pretty rare)

You blow just the last bridge and you wont get any post.

If you make sure you are attaching to the correct bridges then there is no risk of frying because as soon as you blow the bridge the current will no longer flow. Make sure whatever you use the tips are fine so that you touch just the bridge in question and not any of the others.

Back