• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1809 Feature Update only available when checking manually

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Most of you know by now that the Fall 1809 Feature update was pulled my MS and then redeployed a couple of months later when the bugs were worked out. What I didn't realize was that it's not being automatically pushed. It is only available when you do a manual check for updates. This explains why so many in my customer base still don't have it yet.

https://news.softpedia.com/news/man...download-windows-10-version-1809-524312.shtml

I't looks like Microsoft may have decided to just skip 1809 and make it up when the Spring Feature updates roll out.

My experience with my customer base tells me what it presents still stands. Just this week I have worked on customers' computers who are continually connected to the net but did not yet have 1809. As soon as I manually check for updates there it is.

I noticed the same thing. In fact, last night I ran an update check and there it was again, 1809 available. It initialized along with a couple of Defender profile updates, then nothing. I checked to see which version of WinTen was operating and it still reads 1803. But the Defender updates were installed. Something fishy for sure.

There was some fuss a while back about MS giving Win10 "testing" updates to people who pressed the checked for update button, but not to those who let the OS grab updates. I wonder if this is an extension of this?

There was some fuss a while back about MS giving Win10 "testing" updates to people who pressed the checked for update button, but not to those who let the OS grab updates. I wonder if this is an extension of this?

Hadn't thought about that. Seems like I remember something about that as well.

Robert17, I've had no trouble with 1809 installing on my own computers or on customer computers as long as I check for it manually.

Last edited:
I dug a little deeper and it appears I did get an update to 1809 on February 13th. But my "OS Build Info" tab still shows 1803. So I got it, but something's buggy.

Yeah, that's weird. Checked mine and it is 1809 as it should be.

I'm on 1809. I installed on 12/9/18 with a fresh download from microsoft to a USB key. I believe I manually checked for updates after the install, but have not done so since, and I don't remember any large updates coming across when I did so. I'm guessing the copy I downloaded was 1809.

Yes, the current ISO includes the 1809 feature update.

most of my systems at work pulled the 1809 with out any intervention from peeps albeit mid january

at home though i disable updates because of things like this, plus i get my fill of fixing the problems they cause at work.
Like 1803 causing local accounts to hide on the lock screen when the computers associated with an Azure account

I dug a little deeper; the 1809 update failed to install. May have to perform a fresh install which would likely get me 1809. Bummer, as I tether 4G to get internet which is sometimes sporadic. At least I found the nearest tower.

most of my systems at work pulled the 1809 with out any intervention from peeps albeit mid january

at home though i disable updates because of things like this, plus i get my fill of fixing the problems they cause at work.
Like 1803 causing local accounts to hide on the lock screen when the computers associated with an Azure account

Are the ones at work running the Enterprise version of Windows 10?

I performed a manual check before going to bed last night, cumulative update download for 1803 was available. What? So it took two hours to install after a 10 minute download. Checked the History file and it's there. Then checked for updates. Ten minutes into the check and I called it off for lack of a response (connection is good @ 4G). I'll check again late tonight but this is a bit mystifying. Previously had 1809 fail to install, still getting 1803 updates, weird. Anyone have insight?

Robert17, I'd be tempted to download the ISO and do a fresh install. Something seems broken in your OS updater.

I performed a 'Refresh' instead of going the USB/ISO route, only because 15GB would take days to download. Hosed myself. I've been up all night reinstalling programs, still not done. Still on 1803 as well. But it is an updated 1803, so there's that.

I've got the ISO on a flash drive, it's around 4GB (3.1GB in one folder alone). But the updates are what's going to eat up the rest of the time. Total install would be more like 15GB IIRC (tell me if I'm wrong). The worst issue has been (un)Intuit/Quickless. I have the download on drive H: but there is a mandatory 'call home' upon install which I can't work around. The DL is 220MB which seizes up at 36MB due to "failed - file corrupt", 3 attempts. Customer service tried, said it was my connection as we live chatted on the connection while watching it fail. I use that chunk of software for my business. I've also got the Steam, LibreOffice and some other programs on H: so that's been a blessing. It's not as bad as it could be, just a pain in the tush.

Back