• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1809 Feature Update only available when checking manually

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The current ISO on the microsoft website contains the big 1809 feature update. There were smaller updates since then but it might be smarter to download a new ISO. But I understand your reservation. As I recall, in the past year your were agonizing over internet connectivity options (or lack of them) because of moving to the boonies.

Since I switched cellular providers to Verizon I've gotten consistent 3 bar connectivity, often 4 bars, as they have a tower about 3-1/2 miles north of my home; since re-aiming my Yagi antenna towards it internet life has been better. But still slow during some downloads. MS seems to be better than some of the other download sites I've had to utilize; I'm guessing better bandwidth at the source as one factor. But I'm on Band 13 cellularly speaking, so there is some restriction there. I see that MS has WinTen Pro USB sticks available for $150, full version, but I'm hesitant to pay again for something I've already paid for. Juggling the options. I just bought Quicken-less 2019 for a one shot install on disc ($60) in order to salvage my 2018 backup for finalizing taxes; my CPA is wondering if I've lost my mind being this late (just got my last 1099 today in fact). I've also downloaded some freebie simple accounting software to use going forward (maybe; we'll see how this pans out).

Boonie life. Challenging, but I love it.

I've got the ISO on a flash drive, it's around 4GB (3.1GB in one folder alone). But the updates are what's going to eat up the rest of the time. Total install would be more like 15GB IIRC (tell me if I'm wrong
I think you are right, but... its not DLing 10GB worth of updates. That is the package expanding. Updates would be less, particularly if you have the latest version of the ISO.

But yeah, I see the conundrum, but want to make sure you are armed with the right info to make the best choice for you.

The trick with MS would be if I am downloading and get disconnected, would the download pick up where it left off or would I have to start over? With Steam for example, you pick up where you leave off. I shudder to think that I'd be 5 hours into a DL and get disconnected and have to start over, particularly since I can't 'save to folder' on the updates as opposed to the initial ISO. Any thoughts on that?

There is one particular update that shows up as ~82gb but when you start downloading is ~120mb, but might be just for me using WUMT instead of regular Windows Update?

View attachment 204618

Last edited:
If there's one why not others ? Several gb of updates is suspicious to say the least, it's like changing the whole OS.

Last edited:
The trick with MS would be if I am downloading and get disconnected, would the download pick up where it left off or would I have to start over? With Steam for example, you pick up where you leave off. I shudder to think that I'd be 5 hours into a DL and get disconnected and have to start over, particularly since I can't 'save to folder' on the updates as opposed to the initial ISO. Any thoughts on that?

If you will PM me a postal address I'll put the latest ISO on a flash drive and snail mail it to you.

I was just going to offer that.. I just DLthe latest to my flash drive last for a 'redeux' of my daily driver this week. :)

Trents has me covered. He tossed in some good suggestions for future reference as well, some tried, some good advice. I just need to make continuous improvements to the boonie living processes.

..and done. :)

Not without fan fare. I should listen to my own advice and unplug all other drives when installing w10. Also some weird network issue bsod as well until I disabled the wifi... weird.

But done! Fresh mobo, fresh os.:)

Thanks again to Trents. I got the USB yesterday and performed the update early this morning. The updates took about an hour to download and install, followed by the .NET framework and other updates which took an additional hour. But all is done now and I'm rocking the WinTen 1809 update.

I had checked for other updates on Friday and beside the usual anit-virus file update there was a C++ available. I clicked download and it failed. No issues with my mobile tethering so I'm thinking Trents called that one, i.e., my 1803 updater was hosed.

Trents, watch your mailbox, should see something from me about Wednesday. Yee Hawww! It's nice to be back in the Winderz game. :clap:

Thanks again to Trents. I got the USB yesterday and performed the update early this morning. The updates took about an hour to download and install, followed by the .NET framework and other updates which took an additional hour. But all is done now and I'm rocking the WinTen 1809 update.

I had checked for other updates on Friday and beside the usual anit-virus file update there was a C++ available. I clicked download and it failed. No issues with my mobile tethering so I'm thinking Trents called that one, i.e., my 1803 updater was hosed.

Trents, watch your mailbox, should see something from me about Wednesday. Yee Hawww! It's nice to be back in the Winderz game. :clap:

I had to use the windows media creation tool to get 1809 to successfully install on one of my rigs, it failed every day for about a month before i got tire enough of it that i messed with it. Glad to see i wasn't the only one with issues upgrading to 1809.

Back