• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1st custom water cooling just for ASUS Strix Vega 64 OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaPoets

I have an AIO that's rock solid for my 8700k so I don't want to mess w/ it right now, but my VEGA 64 has potential. Going this route will open the door for future expansion which is my goal.

This is going into my custom painted Antec Twelve Hundred case.

Thoughts? What have I left out?

Water Cooling Build.JPG

Attachments

• Water Cooling Build.JPG
    Water Cooling Build.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Do you have room for a larger rad? A slim 240 is going to be cutting it a little short imho.

Do you have room for a larger rad? A slim 240 is going to be cutting it a little short imho.

Not really, the Antec Twelve Hundred is an old case w/ very odd and old school water cooling options. I already have an h115i extreme 280mm in the front keeping my 8700k in check. I'm thinking down the line I'll replace that w/ a larger rad and add it to the slim 240.

Looks to be a pretty good loop DaP. If you can fit the thicker PE 240mm radiators that would be preferred but if not the SE will do just fine. The only thing that I notice missing are the fans. You'll want something with a high static pressure as the SE has a high FPI (22). If you wanted to stick with all EK then the EK-Vardar F3 or F4 series are excellent choices. Note: The F4's do get quite loud when ramped up to full speed.

Looks to be a pretty good loop DaP. If you can fit the thicker PE 240mm radiators that would be preferred but if not the SE will do just fine. The only thing that I notice missing are the fans. You'll want something with a high static pressure as the SE has a high FPI (22). If you wanted to stick with all EK then the EK-Vardar F3 or F4 series are excellent choices. Note: The F4's do get quite loud when ramped up to full speed.

I'm just going to use the "be quiet!" 120mm high speed fans that are already in the rear of my case. Basically I'm attaching the slim rad to them.

Thoughts? What have I left out?

I believe you need a male to male extension to connect the valve to the t-splitter.
It might be also good to have a plug on the valve, dont know if you already have a spare.

Last edited:
I believe you need a male to male extension to connect the valve to the t-splitter.
It might be also good to have a plug on the valve, dont know if you already have a spare.

Ahhh yes I do need a male to male extension... A plug on the valve is a great point too. Thanks!

I think it depends on your plans with the card as well, as to whether the slim will work for you. I initially just slid my power slider to +50% in afterburner and then started cranking clocks. At 300w the card generated a ton of heat. Today I used an undervolt from OCUK and my power usage stays below 250 watts using 1.05v. I seem to get better performance than just increasing power slider and clocks. While my fans are by no means quiet while gaming with the loop in my sig (includes a 2600x and rad is a Hardware labs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 360, 60mm), they are at least reasonable.

If you're planning to use the LC bios with a 350w power target or even go further (through registry mods), then I don't know that you'll be in good shape with the slim.

I think it depends on your plans with the card as well, as to whether the slim will work for you. I initially just slid my power slider to +50% in afterburner and then started cranking clocks. At 300w the card generated a ton of heat. Today I used an undervolt from OCUK and my power usage stays below 250 watts using 1.05v. I seem to get better performance than just increasing power slider and clocks. While my fans are by no means quiet while gaming with the loop in my sig (includes a 2600x and rad is a Hardware labs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 360, 60mm), they are at least reasonable.

If you're planning to use the LC bios with a 350w power target or even go further (through registry mods), then I don't know that you'll be in good shape with the slim.

I game at 1080p 60hz so right now what I'm doing is a bit overkill because playing Battlefield V w/ this Vega 64 the fans don't even turn on (case cooling is good enough). I even increased the power slider to +50% and undervolted which improved this card a lot. This is mainly for my own education to ensure I'm doing this right.

Well I just ordered everything for a custom loop to only cool my VEGA 64 lol.... $629.71 which includes tax & shipping. I figure getting nice nickel parts from EKWB this will be the initial cost to get into the game and from then on the little things here and there won't be so bad. I love my AIO so for now (next week my mind may change) I'm keeping it for my 8700k.

Bleh... That didn't last long.... Went and also ordered the EK-Velocity CPU Waterblock RGB Nickel, more compression fittings, and an EK-Coolstream SE 280mm Slim rad. So my total cost ended up being $900.........

Damn hobbies....

Ha ha ha, we knew that was coming sooner or later, so as they say, better sooner then... Welcome to the club!

Back