• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED 1st time water loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ddbtkd456

Budget: 4.8k-5k
Uses: Backup Server full time (2 Desktops & 1 Laptop), Video/Music Collection, Video/Music encoding (heavily), Gaming, Streaming Server (1 Other Desktop, 1 Laptop, & Xbox 360)
Rational Behind Parts:
  1. CPU: I thought the i7 would help me with reducing the time it needs to encode, also the encoding software I use maxed out my previous FX-8350, so multiple cores are supported. I went with Devil's Canyon cause I have a weakness for speed. :p
  2. Thermal Compound: I went with this thermal compound because it is one of the highest rating compounds available on the market, in my opinion that is.
  3. Motherboard: Solid stable motherboard, as a bonus its black/red for my lighting effects as well.
  4. Memory: As I said this will be using encoding programs & streaming (more internet based I know) at the same time as gaming...so yea.
  5. Storage: 1 TB SSD: for my games, operating system, & programs, along with misc. other stuff. (2x) 3TB HDD, one will be used as a backup as mentioned above (though I am contemplating on putting into Raid 1 with another drive), and the other for video/music/picture storage.
  6. Video Card: I am a little shaky on this one...weather to go with (2x) 770's or a single 780ti...since I am running at 1440p.
  7. Power Supply: I do know it is overkill for what I am running, however I like the custom braided cables without having to spend hours or pay someone to do them. When I SLI in the future it will allow for expansion.
Other then that....custom water cooling setup with a insane lighting effect that pluses to music....I have a feeling it will be heavy tho. Also the desk at the end I'm not sure if I am going with that quiet yet or if I want to build my own in the future. If someone could would they please check over the water cooling parts and see if they all work.

As for my next question: how would you stop a drain port with tubing connecting to it...whats the piece called that ends the tubing.. example would be the cap on the picture below. Or does anyone know how to make one like that?

002-2.jpg

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($8.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G1.SNIPER Z97 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($148.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($445.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($725.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 900D ATX Full Tower Case ($300.98 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor ($479.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm Fan ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-S4S-10AK-GP 60.9 CFM 140mm Fan ($4.99 @ Newegg)
Fan Controller: NZXT SENTRY 3 Fan Controller ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Corsair Raptor M45 Wired Optical Mouse ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Headphones: Logitech G930 7.1 Channel Headset ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Speakers: Logitech Z623 200W 2.1ch Speakers ($118.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper Slim Profile Quad 120mm Radiator ($84.99)
Other: Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper Quad 120mm Radiator ($129.99)
Other: (x2) XSPC 4 x 120mm Radiator Gasket - 3mm ($8.00)
Other: Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper Slim Profile Single 140mm Radiator ($54.99)
Other: EK Supremacy Universal CPU Liquid Cooling Block - Acetal (EK-Supremacy - Acetal) ($70.99)
Other: Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 400 Inline Reservoir - Ice Red (BP-WTZM400P-IRDBK) ($56.95)
Other: EK D5 X-Top Pump Top w/ D5 Vario Pump - Black Acetal (EK-D5 Vario X-TOP (incl. pump)) + Sleeved Cabling ($121.98)
Other: IandH Silver KillCoils - Antimicrobial .999 Fine Silver Tubing / Reservoir Strip ($6.99)
Other: Koolance G1/4" Brass Inline Drain Valve Fitting - 4 Port (VLV-XUTX4B) ($11.99)
Other: PrimoChill Vortex Black POM Visual Flow Indicators - Blood Red Faceplates (FI-V-BR) ($22.99)
Other: EK Gigabyte GeForce 780 GTX WF3 VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Nickel + Acetal (EK-FC780 GTX WF3 - Acetal+Nickel) ($116.99)
Other: EK Gigabyte GTX 780 WF3 Backplate - Black (EK-FC780 GTX WF3 Backplate - Black) ($30.99)
Other: PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing 3/8"ID x 1/2" OD - 10ft Retail Pack - Bloodshed Red (PFLEXA10-12-R) w/ Free Sys Prep ($24.99)
Other: PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing 3/8"ID x 1/2" OD - 10ft Retail Pack - Bloodshed Red (PFLEXA10-12-R) w/ Free Sys Prep ($24.99)
Other: EVGA G2/P2 Black Power Supply Cable Set (Individually Sleeved) (Black) ($89.99)
Other: Logisys 15" Deluxe Sound Activate Cold Cathode Kit - White ($20.98)
Other: Logitech - Gaming Pad F310 ($24.99)
Other: IKEA ALEX Drawer unit, black-brown ($79.99)
Other: IKEA TORNLIDEN Table top, black-brown ($49.99)
Other: Bitspower Matte Black Quick-Disconnected Male w/ Inner G1/4 (BP-MBQDMIG14)83 ($83.80)
Other: Bitspower Matte Black Quick-Disconnected Female w/ G1/4 Thread (BP-MBQDFG14) ($94.00)
Other: (x13) Bitspower G 1/4 Thread 3/8" ID x 1/2" OD Compression Fitting - Matte Black (BP-MBCPF-CC2) ($116.35)
Other: Bitspower G1/4 Thread 3/8" ID x 1/2" OD 90-Degree Rotary Compression Fitting - Matte Black (BP-MB90R2LCPF-CC2) ($18.99)
Other: PrimoChill - Threaded G 1/4 Funnel - Black (PC-GF-BK) ($9.49)
Total: $4818.05
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-29 03:09 EDT-0400

Also the flow of the loop will be as follows:

Res>pump>drain port with valve>basement rad>gpu>flow indicator>cpu>rear rad>2nd res>1st res.

However i don't have the 2nd res or valve in there yet.

Last edited:
If this is just a server, you do NOT need a 780TI. The onboard graphics will be good enough.

+1 on Corsair over eVGA. The only thing they still build that is quality is video cards. The PSU is the main part of your entire system and could be the thing that does or stops your entire system from being fried. It amazes me how many people will spend 800.00 on a video card and 150.00 on a PSU. If you want top quality, the Corsair AX series is it.

You are welcome to pay the premium for efficiency that, unless you run your pc 24/7 you will never make up the massive price difference, or grab a gold of comprable quality for $70 less... ;)

What psu do you have? Your Sig has what fittings you use but no psu? Lol!

OK..fair enough, but the Corsair RM1000 is the exact same price on New Egg as the eVGA. :)

I'd also drop the 3/8" tubing and go with 7/16" x 5/8". You get the benefits of both the 3/8" x 1/2" for bends and the 1/2" x 3/4" for flow. 7/16" is probably the most popular now.

It's actually $10 less, the EVGA. $30 if you count the MIR..(at least At Newegg USA)

I thought 7/16 was more rare considering there are seemingly more part availability on 3/8 and 1/2. Not that there is no availability, but all too common loops are built 3/8 and 1/2 ID. That said, with such a loop, there is little reason to go bigger (but of course can be an option).

The only difference between 3/8, 7/16, and 1/2 are the fittings as long as they are all G1/4 thread and the blocks are G1/4. The size doesn't affect the blocks. I have never had any issues finding any 7/16" fittings of any kind recently. You are correct that 7/16" fittings used to be impossible to find. You used to have to squeeze 7/16", that you could never remove and didn't even need clamps or compression :), tubing on 1/2" fittings....not anymore.

I was comparing his price from NCIX with the Egg. :)

Same for same, I'd rather have the evga...but both are solid units. The rm though got dinged for having capxon caps though while the g2 was cast from God's own hands, lol! It got a 10 at JG for its regulation.

We are honestly splitting hairs though. :)

Um guys...thanks for the help the evga is a platinum...edition and I would have tho go AX1200 for it....this system is not just for server uses.

Uses: Backup Server full time (2 Desktops & 1 Laptop), Video/Music Collection, Video/Music encoding (heavily), Gaming, Streaming Server (1 Other Desktop, 1 Laptop, & Xbox 360)

That 900D case is overkill for your build, get something smaller and save some money
Check this case out, best case of the year 2013 :)

And thae EVGA PSU is just a name, Corsair PSU are better quality, better customer service, support.

edit, you can you this for your drain/fill port
http://koolance.com/valves-and-fill-ports?path=0_64

Also I was looking at that but I want the tallest case I can since my desk is 28" high...tho that case was my second choice...my fiance is getting the luxe :p for the purple of corse.

I'd call that your primary pc that has some backups on it, lol!

Does the 850w have your braided cables? That still allows for plenty of upgrade space for two 780ti...

I'd call that your primary pc that has some backups on it, lol!

Does the 850w have your braided cables? That still allows for plenty of upgrade space for two 780ti...

Yes it does but I wasn't sure if it would cut it for the full loop and 2 780 t.i's and the lighting plus the cpu under full load....that's why I went with the 1,000 unless its overkill? I would rather get a Corsair since it matches my build better....or I could just get the AXI 1500 hahaha right....lol...sorry and yes I am in the United States...forgot to add that. Also I have changed the 27" 1440p to triple 1080p 23" monitors as I would like to get an arm for them.

Last edited:
Lights and water don't use much really. Maybe an extra 50-60w with pump, lights and fans on high? I wouldn't go over 1kw. The corsair is solid. :)

Thank you for all your help :) I might switch to the Enthroo Pro tho since I do love that case more then the 900D anyways (plus its going to be lighter when its filled)

If you want to switch monitors, you would likely want more gpu unless you want to sacrifice some IQ settings (lower AA.. which should be fine).

One last thing....if you are in the U.S, I'm sure New Egg has the cheapest prices of at least 90% of computer parts. If you can buy from one place that's cheaper, you also get cheaper shipping.

BTW, don't mock those of us that do have the AX1500i. :)

Back