• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1st Trip To Microcenter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

Went to the one in Madison Heights, Michigan. About a 45 minute drive from my house, real reason I never drove there myself, my parents make me pay for gas and I have an SUV, not happening on my dime. Today however we went up there (north for us) to see a concert (well, a comedy show, Jim Gaffigan, if your familiar) and it was on the way and we had time to spare.

null_zps0fc130ad.jpg

Lot smaller than I expected, thought it would be Wal-mart supercenter sized or Home Depot sized. Still my growing nerdmania kept me going =P

So we looked around, my mother needed a case for her Nexus 4, she found many but none had the correct camera/flash hole placement (I know nothing about Android phone cases, I have an iPhone 4s so I was pretty useless)

Looked around some more, the selection of mice was excellent, that's for sure.

null_zps4634fbcc.jpg

Wandered around some more, looked at assorted graphics cards in a locked jewel case (the highest of which I saw a 770, no 780, Titan, or 7970, must be in the back room)

It was pretty crowded, and crowded stores make me feel pressured, and it always seems like someone turns up the heat, etc.

Hilariously enough, when I wandered from my parents, an associate came and asked them if they needed help, while I was never asked either alone or with them.

Guess I look like a nerd, lmfao.

We didn't go to Microcenter for any reason in particular but to kill time, however, I did sort of need new speakers, as the replacement amp Klipsch sent for my non-working subwoofer didn't fix it and I really didn't feel like persuing warranty further, so the aforementioned pressure caused me to impulse buy, though not completely, I brought up reviews on Amazon of them, they're pretty nice and have good reviews. Not to mention being from Creative, the company who makes sound cards right up there with HT Omega.

First bag from Microcenter!

null_zps8c4c0a36.jpg

Creative Gigaworks T40 II

null_zps1552d23d.jpg

Installed

null_zps846d881c.jpg

So far on the speakers my impressions are good, the Klipsch Promedia 2.1s I had before were only like $30ish more than these, so I wasnt expecting a major difference but they sound really great. Pretty happy so far. Extremely snappy looking too.

My father was wondering if they'd price match, he saw something about Microcenter price matching Newegg so he brought up Newegg, $99 for the same speakers shipped for free.

Cashier called some mid-level management lady and she said "We don't price match NewEgg" and walked away, sort of rudely, although the cashier apologized ($99 vs $115ish with tax) wasn't really a lot of money but still annoying. I then saw the article my dad saw where they claimed to price match newegg, but apparently it only applies to processors? Little annoying, didn't make a great impression on me, first time customer.

Mother's a quite talented painter, yet hasn't painted in several years so she did leave with paintbrushes (15 set Q_Q) for $4 though, attack of nostalgia at checkout.

Overall a meh experience, sort of like purgatory. Wouldn't make any special trips back up there soley for Microcenter but would certainly hit it again if I was in the area.

I would love to live in Troy or Rochester Hills, its so nice and fancy, im a Downriver rat
:*(

Lot of creepy old men, and young nerds in there, not much in between, which one are you? Trololol

I rarely shop around there, lol. I tend to just reserve online, takes them 18 minutes to get it behind the desk. Pickup, pay, leave, all very fast and efficient. :thup:

Interesting that they said they wouldn't price match newegg.

That location is a little over an hour from me, never stopped in there as I'm not normally going to the east side of the state. Seems too like while they have good deals on new processors, I can normally buy used online for the same price that they want for a new one, so I save both time and a lot of gas going that route.

I love that microcenter but im 45 mins away and im a poor college kid so that does not help also
if fact my dad sis and brother went there yesterday
what time did you go?

Surprized, they did not price match Newegg. Store here in Boston/Cambridge, MA once had a couple of big signs saying we will price match newegg and tigerdirect.

I even had asked them to price match with Amazon (sold by amazon itself, not third party) a number of times and they easily do that. That must be some rude a$$ manager or mid-level management lady.

My last price match was just last week, for a Logitech M705 mouse. was listed on microcenter for $50, Amazon was $32.00 and free shipping, newegg was $40+ $3.00 shipping. At first I just checked with newegg and asked one of the associate if they price match? he said yes. then I checked on amazon asked again, he replied I have to ask with supervisor/manager. Supervisor said yes only if sold by amazon itself. I got it for $32.00 plus $2.00 tax. without price match it would have been $50 plus $3.12 tax.
that's saving of almost $20.00.

I've got a Microcenter that is 20 or so minutes away (each way) that I buy my NIB Core i7 processors from. I've done the math, and it actually is cheaper than Newegg, and I can look at batches as well.

You guys are lucky. From Charlotte, NC my closest is either Atlanta, GA or in Virginia.

It's not all that bad. You can get some really good deals on those sites. Ebay especially if you're patient in your buying, which admittedly is hard to do!

It's not all that bad. You can get some really good deals on those sites. Ebay especially if you're patient in your buying, which admittedly is hard to do!

eBay is where I got the new mobo/cpu!

I also get Amazon Prime for $35/yr since I'm in school, so that helps a lot too.

My closest one is about 45min away. I had been there once just because I happened to be in the neighborhood. I mainly hit up newegg because of the free shipping(most of the time) and no sales tax(for now). I can wait for my parts. Im not a RIGHT NOW person.

@Culbrelai - since your parents make you pay for gas I'll (safely) assume your one of the young nerdy kids ; p. That would make me a creepy old guy. LOL

Yup XD

I love that microcenter but im 45 mins away and im a poor college kid so that does not help also
if fact my dad sis and brother went there yesterday
what time did you go?

Same, being a poor college kid sucks.

We were in there from like 3 to 3:30 PM according my recipt and my estimation =P

Originally Posted by cullam3n
Nice. Closest one for me is 3 hours away from here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMINSIDE
You guys are lucky. From Charlotte, NC my closest is either Atlanta, GA or in Virginia.

Ouch.

Yeah, four hours at best.

Closest Fry's, Raleigh. 2.5 hrs.

Let's just say that I use eBay, Amazon and Newegg.

Don't be too depressed, Amazon, Newegg and eBay have a bigger selection than Microcenter. Yours might not price match? (Maybe they thought we were rich and didnt need the discount, LOL)

The combo mobo + CPU in store pickup deal seems to be the best part of the whole Microcenter experience.

Surprized, they did not price match Newegg. Store here in Boston/Cambridge, MA once had a couple of big signs saying we will price match newegg and tigerdirect.

I even had asked them to price match with Amazon (sold by amazon itself, not third party) a number of times and they easily do that. That must be some rude a$$ manager or mid-level management lady.
My last price match was just last week, for a Logitech M705 mouse. was listed on microcenter for $50, Amazon was $32.00 and free shipping, newegg was $40+ $3.00 shipping. At first I just checked with newegg and asked one of the associate if they price match? he said yes. then I checked on amazon asked again, he replied I have to ask with supervisor/manager. Supervisor said yes only if sold by amazon itself. I got it for $32.00 plus $2.00 tax. without price match it would have been $50 plus $3.12 tax.
that's saving of almost $20.00.

She was at our counter just a few minutes ago for another customer so maybe she wanted to go on break or something. Idk, I hate people, lol. The one I went to had no signs or anything about it. The paper did have a claim they'd price match newegg in the very bottom corner in pretty small font. Apparently only for the processors directly above that text -_-.

Back