• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 - 8800GTX in SLI really really hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bkny10555

I have two 8800GTX in sli and they seem really hot wasup with that
I need a way to monitor the temps on the GPU
Anyone else having this issue

2 x 8800GTX = VERY hot ahah. In that small of a space with that much power generated, you aren't alone. Right click on your desktop, go to Nvidia display and view Temperature settings. If they're under 50 idle / 70 load, you should be ok. They might be running a little hotter. SLI Cooling solutions aren't good unless you have fantastic airflow with some nice heatsinks.

G80 SLI requires a good case with good airflow, you can monitor the card temps with Rivatuner. When you get a chance, stop by the 3D Team section an post a couple of scores.

bkny10555 said:
I have two 8800GTX in sli and they seem really hot wasup with that
I need a way to monitor the temps on the GPU
Anyone else having this issue

And the surprise there is???

Viper

i'm getting around mid 50s on idle and around 78s on load. they run super hot and I don't even have a case on mine. I can't wait to OC them.

1cem4n said:
i'm getting around mid 50s on idle and around 78s on load. they run super hot and I don't even have a case on mine. I can't wait to OC them.

That is normal with the GPU cooler fans on thermal control.

Viper

maybe try a swiftech mcw60 or the new danger den for 88xx series. and some really good ram sinks.

ViperJohn said:
More "All in One" garbage.

Viper

How is that garbage, the cooler on the 8800's are that big for a reason, alot of components put out heat and need to be cooled.

Simple, the more parts your waterblock covers, the more it increases the water temperature of the loop, the less good of a job it does cooling everything else.

Your RAM isn't gonna get that hot. They won't be icey cold, but they don't need liquid cooling generally, unless you're going freakin' insane ;). Conversly, your GPU needs all the cooling it can get.

For most video cards, simply affixing some high end ramsinks + mounting a fan to blow over them will be more than enough for the RAM, and then having a dedicated GPU block for the GPU's will be most efficient.

Elif Tymes said:
Simple, the more parts your waterblock covers, the more it increases the water temperature of the loop, the less good of a job it does cooling everything else.

Your RAM isn't gonna get that hot. They won't be icey cold, but they don't need liquid cooling generally, unless you're going freakin' insane ;). Conversly, your GPU needs all the cooling it can get.

For most video cards, simply affixing some high end ramsinks + mounting a fan to blow over them will be more than enough for the RAM, and then having a dedicated GPU block for the GPU's will be most efficient.
While your post is entirely true, you forgot about the other 'kind' of watercooler. One that goes for silence. Watercooling the entire card eliminates the need for a fan on the card. Plus, I really doubt that the rest of the card could raise the temp by even a couple degrees (I'm thinking less than 1c).

You can't have silence and highest end performance. In cases like that, I'd swap in a VF900 CU and knock down the fan speed. Admittedly, a good watercooling loop would be quiter, but for $300+ just to get a good silent loop, it's not cost effective...

Elif Tymes said:
You can't have silence and highest end performance.

I sir do not believe that at all. With a well thought out and efficient setup, it can be quiet will being high performance.

I didn't say high performance, I said highest. Of course it will still scream, but in the event that you want the highest performance possible (ViperJohns specialty ;)) Silence isn't gonna cut it, hence the "All in one crap" statement.

thideras said:
How is that garbage, the cooler on the 8800's are that big for a reason, alot of components put out heat and need to be cooled.

Every "All in One" made has serious compromises in GPU cooling performance built in. We are talking double
digit C (well into in most cases) in loaded die temps compared to a ViperFang or ST MCW60.

The one thing the "All in Ones" bring to the table is the cooling of the Vcore mosfets and NV I/O chip. Those are
cooled by the stock cooler as well and MUST BE taken care of when going to WC. The "All in Ones" do that but
in a seriously GPU cooling compromised package compared to a good discrete high end WB with good
ramsinks.

Abother real issue with the "All in Ones" is they are dedictated to a particular model card and typically have no
upgrade life. All you need is one mounting hole change or a part relocation/size change on a new card and you
have an instant (but pretty) "All in One" paper weight.

Viper

Last edited:
thideras said:
I sir do not believe that at all. With a well thought out and efficient setup, it can be quiet will being high performance.

Thideras is correct. You can have serious high end water cooling that is very quite if you have the room
for a large, correctly mounted, and more importantly correctly fanned radiator setup.

You can not have total silence and have high end, high cooling peformance levels at the same time
though. There is simply to much heat you have to get rid of these days especially when OC'ing.

Viper

Back