• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.8C or 2.8E?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The D-0 stepping of the Prescott was supposed to be on May 7th, but looks like the release has been delayed in the USA. Some folks in Europe have been getting them, so apparently they'll be available soon. Beware, you need excellent cooling if you plan on overclocking a Prescott. For the average person, the Northwood is a better choice.

Last edited:
Myhre said:
I run swiftech waterblocks, do you think that would be good enough, or are we talking peltiers here?
h20 should be fine. i believe batboy uses h20 on his prescotts,at least he did on the one i bought from him.

i wouldnt touch a prescott without h20 or better.
not that it wont oc on air its just you get no where near its maz oc mhz wise.

im doing 3.5ghz 53c-66c idle and temps on decent air.
but im only using 1.39vcore so imagine what that would reach with phase-change cooling allowing 1.7vcore? :)

i want phase change on mine but looking into h20 also atm.im alot more experianced in it.

Yes, I had a Swifty watercooling system on my Prescott before I sold it to Deathstar. Watercooling works well on Prescotts. I'm planning on getting a Prescott D-0 3.0E once they're available. Hey Deathstar, glad to see you hit your goal of 3.5 gig on low vcore. So that PC2700 RAM is hanging in there at DDR500?

batboy said:
Yes, I had a Swifty watercooling system on my Prescott before I sold it to Deathstar. Watercooling works well on Prescotts. I'm planning on getting a Prescott D-0 3.0E once they're available. Hey Deathstar, glad to see you hit your goal of 3.5 gig on low vcore. So that PC2700 RAM is hanging in there at DDR500?
yup loven every minute of it!
i have to back down to 3.3ghz and 1.34vcore to fold during the night. tops out at 64c then and im ok with that for now.

the ram passed memtest 250fsb 1:1 2.6vdimm :) its gold!
i havent tried higher as im not gonna push more heat than needed. in 2 weeks either i buy a phase change system if i can find one cheap or going back to h20,one or the other.

3.5ghz @1.41vcore idles at 55c loads at 69c
i dont stress my systems much unless folding so i run this during the day and fold at night at lower settings.yes 200mhz extra makes it faster! lol

ive heard the DO steppings are running a tad cooler. mabey we will see some info soon more on that.

Myhre said:
Does anyone know what the deal is with the new steppings, or where I could find info on them, and when they are coming out? Thankyou in advance, and thankyou for your comments so far.

Nobody will know anything about the new steppings until they are released... and they haven't been released yet.

You can bet your shorts that when they do come out, there will be big noise around here. Especially if the news is good. :)

Well I still havn't made a commitment to a proc yet. A friend really wants me to just wait on the new stepping Prescott because I'll pick up a p4c800ed and he knows I'll sell him my 2.8C and p4p800ed CHEAP. Oh well, I need to resist the temptation to buy a new one until then. On the bright side, I just found a buyer tonight that wants to buy a p4b533 + 2.26 + 512 pc2100 + geforce4 4400ti! /sigh...only getting 400 bucks out of it though. Better than it just sitting there catching dust I guess.

I'm wondering the exact same question as what this thread is a about. Is the new Prescott stepping due out any day now or are we talking weeks from now?

Back