• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.8c strangly says new cpu installed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trip0d

its been a yr since i had my comp in my sig and i havent turned it on since may..iv been using another computer because i didnt feel like setting mine up.

anyway i turn it on and now after post screen itll beep and say

new cpu installed! please enter setup for configuration

f1 setup
f2 defauts

so i do setup..not sure what i needed to change but boot to windows..i restart to test it again and again itll say new cpu installed etc.

i had a zalman cu7000a on it and then i tried with the stock hs and it still says the same thing.

and now odly enough at ranom boots windows will crash reboot itself..go to the message and then after hitting f2(just to get past the screen) windows will say it recovered from a critical error.

but the main concern is why the cpu would keep registering as a new cpu every boot.

ill try and expand after work today.

thanks for reading

It sat for a year without being turned on? I'm going to go out on a limb and say your CMOS battery is dead. Even though the BIOS is written to NVRAM, and stores the code without the need for permanent voltage to remember the basic BIOS code, without the little watch battery to keep it powered when the PC is off, your settings will disappear and it will automatically revert to default settings. Crack the case open, pull out the battery (according to MoBo manual procedures) and take a ride over to Radio Shack or similar store where they sell cell batteries. At most it'll cost you $1 in gas (or, since I see you're a college student, whatever bus fare is) and maybe $7 or $8 for the battery. I can't guarantee that's what it is, but it's my best guess. Best of luck.

One of my freinds had the exact same problem. We scratched our heads trying to figure out why. And like darkmatter13 said the battery was infact dead. He replaced it and it never said the "new cpu installed" thing again.

DarkMatter13 said:
It sat for a year without being turned on? I'm going to go out on a limb and say your CMOS battery is dead. Even though the BIOS is written to NVRAM, and stores the code without the need for permanent voltage to remember the basic BIOS code, without the little watch battery to keep it powered when the PC is off, your settings will disappear and it will automatically revert to default settings. Crack the case open, pull out the battery (according to MoBo manual procedures) and take a ride over to Radio Shack or similar store where they sell cell batteries. At most it'll cost you $1 in gas (or, since I see you're a college student, whatever bus fare is) and maybe $7 or $8 for the battery. I can't guarantee that's what it is, but it's my best guess. Best of luck.

Absolutely correct. Happened to me before, did the same thing, and voila.

alrighty sweet..oh and i meant to say it sat for 3 months.may to now..well 2.5 months :D

thanks ill have to run out and grab a battery now..i was hoping that nothing drastic happened to it..

now all i have to do is fix my monitor pins..cause 2 of them broke somehow...

anyway thanks for the solution!! :)

Back