• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 different fans higher tamps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pacothedagon

Registered
I have a NZXT respire T40 cooler on my i7 and I use to have 2 cooler master fans cooling which kept it about 40c at idle but I got a new fan the noctua nf-f12 and I removed one of my cooler master fans and put the noctua fan in so I still have it running in push pull config but ever sense then my temps at idle are anywhere from 47c to 56c is the higher temps due to the fact that im using 2 different fans?

Don't know exactly what the old fans were but they probably had a higher rpm/cfm rating than th noctua. The Noctua are desinged more as slow speed low noise fans. Should maybe just put the old one back on .

stupid question.. but you did mount the fan correctly, yes?

Seen it happen before, some glitch in the brain and fans ended up fighting eachother, like both blowing into (or sucking on) the heatsink...

stupid question.. but you did mount the fan correctly, yes?

Seen it happen before, some glitch in the brain and fans ended up fighting eachother, like both blowing into (or sucking on) the heatsink...

HA ha Guilty :chair:

You removed one of the Coolermaster fans? Do you mean from the case or the CPU cooler? The Noctua cooler certainly wouldn't come with Coolermaster fans so you couldn't remove one from the Noctua cooler. Do you mean you removed one of the Coolermaster fans from the old CPU cooler and replaced the Noctua fan with it? What you are trying to say is not clear to me.

You removed one of the Coolermaster fans? Do you mean from the case or the CPU cooler? The Noctua cooler certainly wouldn't come with Coolermaster fans so you couldn't remove one from the Noctua cooler. Do you mean you removed one of the Coolermaster fans from the old CPU cooler and replaced the Noctua fan with it? What you are trying to say is not clear to me.

removed one of the Coolermaster fans from the old CPU cooler and replaced the Noctua fan with it

Thanks for the clarification. If it were me and I was getting higher temps than I expected (and that Noctua is a very good cooler) I would remove the cooler, clean the TIM off the cooler base and the CPU lid with isopropyl alcohol and then reseat the cooler. My suspicion is that it's not making good contact with the CPU face.

Check list:
1. Did you remove the plastic protector from the cooler base before you installed it?
2. Did you use new TIM and how did you apply it?
3. Did you tighten the cooler mounting screws a little bit a time back and forth in some kind of a pattern to insure you got even pressure on all sides?

What are the full load temps? Adding variable speed will make the idle temps go up.

So my second noctua fan finally came in and when installing it and replacing the other cooler master fan I noticed that the heat sink its self is moving around and it did that when I put the first noctua fan on but didn't think much of it so I checked to be sure that everything was tight and it was but could this be the cause of higher temps?

So it sounds like the mount is not tight. Make sure the heatsink is not resting on some other component (like a VRM heatsink in the area) that would keep it from making full contact with the CPU face. Make sure you assembled the mounting hardware correctly as well. If neither of these is the problem, consider how you might add more pressure to the mount by adding shems (washers often work well for this) under the mount screws or brackets.

So it sounds like the mount is not tight. Make sure the heatsink is not resting on some other component (like a VRM heatsink in the area) that would keep it from making full contact with the CPU face. Make sure you assembled the mounting hardware correctly as well. If neither of these is the problem, consider how you might add more pressure to the mount by adding shems (washers often work well for this) under the mount screws or brackets.

I've thought about adding shims to increase pressure on a heatsink but
how safe is doing this? Or is it only an issue w/naked CPU cores that don't
an IHS?

I've thought about adding shims to increase pressure on a heatsink but
how safe is doing this? Or is it only an issue w/naked CPU cores that don't
an IHS?

DON'T! Shims are not to be used between the CPU and heatsink, just re-tighten the screews on the heatsink/water block.

My advice about using a shim was not intended to mean putting a shim between the heat sink and the CPU. Heavens no! you don't want to do that. I meant putting a shim in the mounting hardware somewhere if possible to increase the pressure. With the old Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme coolers we used to put a washer under the clamp on the topside of the heat sink base to increase pressure. On coolers with a different mounting hardware design you may need to add small washers under the screw heads on the backside of the motherboard, using a rubber washer to insulate the washers from the motherboard electrical traces. Shimming may not be possible on some designs.

Last edited:
A while back there was some issues with Venomous X and socket crush from having too much pressure on the socket. I don't know if the True uses the same mounting mechanism.

sounds like ya dislodged the cooler while changing the fan. I'd take it off clean it and cpu and remount with new tim. Make sure not to be to rough when putting the fans back on but with a fresh remount and fresh tim it'll be less of a headache for ya. Most fans have an arrow to indicate airflow direction but most fans the webbing on the back is the direction of airflow.

A while back there was some issues with Venomous X and socket crush from having too much pressure on the socket. I don't know if the True uses the same mounting mechanism.

Too much of a good thing can be bad.

My advice about using a shim was not intended to mean putting a shim between the heat sink and the CPU. Heavens no! you don't want to do that. I meant putting a shim in the mounting hardware somewhere if possible to increase the pressure. With the old Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme coolers we used to put a washer under the clamp on the topside of the heat sink base to increase pressure. On coolers with a different mounting hardware design you may need to add small washers under the screw heads on the backside of the motherboard, using a rubber washer to insulate the washers from the motherboard electrical traces. Shimming may not be possible on some designs.

oh ooops :chair: :)

Back