• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 gigs of ram in Vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zexmarquies01

PC specs are in sig.

Basically, I've been on this current installation of XP for way to long, and it's starting to show. Getting slow-downs, Driver problems which is causing video problems...Etc.

I bought Vista a while back, way before SP1 came out, but quickly put XP back on, due to lack of driver support for a majority of products that i owned.

Well, I'm about to reinstall Vista again, Since i figure that if I'm going to do a clean install, I might as well use vista, and be able to use DX10 on my 2 8800's.

The problem is, I only have 2 gigs of ram. Not to get into the details, but I'm basically STUCK with only 2 gigs of ram, unless my motherboard will suddenly work correctly with all 4 dimms being used.

So how well will vista run? I plan to game on this machine. I use Dual Monitors, and will be running BOINC 24/7. Will it run fine, or should i keep XP until i do a PC upgrade, where i will be having at least 4 gigs? ( which an upgrade may be MONTHS away. )

Vista will work fine. I have it on a lower end laptop with 2gb, and it runs perfectly.

Vista will work fine. I have it on a lower end laptop with 2gb, and it runs perfectly.

Sweet. That's really all i needed to know. just organizing some crap on my other drives, and backing up files. I have a full checklist of things to do before i clean install, as i want to do this installation correctly, and would like to make sure my other drives are organized, clean, and no longer have a crap ton of files on them. Hopefully I'll have everything backed up, deleted, and organized by this weekend.

One thing to keep in mind, is Vista gives the illusion of slowness. Most of that is due to the open/close animation of the windows. Where XP just pops a window up, Vista expands, and contracts the windows. They sped it up some in SP1(which I don't care for btw), but it's still "slower" than XP.

One thing to keep in mind, is Vista gives the illusion of slowness. Most of that is due to the open/close animation of the windows. Where XP just pops a window up, Vista expands, and contracts the windows. They sped it up some in SP1(which I don't care for btw), but it's still "slower" than XP.

Actually, Doesn't XP at stock animate the minimizing/Maximizing/Restoring of windows?

Right click Desktop > Properties > Appearance > Effects > Menu and tooltips transition. Because normally that's on. Doesn't Vista have the option to turn that effect off as well?

Yea, you can turn it off. I like the the pre-SP1 slower animations tbh. I'm just not that fast, or in that big a hurry to get work done, where a fraction of a second makes a big difference to me :^D

Edit:
The animation is much more pronounced in Vista than it is in XP.

I recommend 2GB of RAM minimum in XP and 4GB of ram in Vista for a gaming PC.

Having said that, you can get by with less, depending on the games you play.

3 PCs in my house are running Vista with only 2GB of ram. My gaming rig has 4

Perhaps partitioning your hard drive, then installing Windows XP to its own partition then install large programs, games and applications on another partition is also a way to go.

That way you can image/reimage your Windows XP partition all the time (quickly) to get rid of the inevitable problems that always show up after a while.

I had 2GB in vista for quite a while and it was just fine. But when I uped to 4GB, I did notice a difference when gaming. There were a couple games that used a ton of RAM, so their performance increased and/or stopped occasionally stuttering. Also when starting and closing them, I noticed it was much faster as I didn't have to wait for the HD to swap info around.

RAM is very very cheap. You can find 2x2GB for $40 and decently fast stuff (DDR2-1000) for like $50

If you can afford to spend $50, that would answer your problems pretty well :)

Explain. Whats it doing with 4gb of ram in?

RAM is very very cheap. You can find 2x2GB for $40 and decently fast stuff (DDR2-1000) for like $50

If you can afford to spend $50, that would answer your problems pretty well :)

1 - I'm still using regular DDR at the moment.

My motherboard won't accept 3 sticks, and with 4 sticks, it will only read 2 of them. I have no idea why. And no, It's not due to the x32 limitation, it's something with my bios. I've messed with every single setting possible on this motherboard. ( The Bios itself will only read 2 sticks. )

I'm tired of messing with it, so I'm just going to stay with 2 gigs until i do a full upgrade here in a few months or so.

Zex:

Ive used 2gigs DDR on my other rig, and vista 32bit, and its great the CPU is a bit slow.. but i can play CS:S and Red alert 3 with high settings, using a 8800gtx and its great, only down side i guess to the 2 gigs compared to 4 gigs of DDR2 is that my encoding times of DVDs are faster,

but what the heck 2 gigs is more than enough..

2cent

Thanks for the input everyone. Mainly, I'll be playing L4D and such. I'm not big into crysis or anything at the moment, so I figure that with a bit of tweaking of vista ( which I'd be doing either way ), 2 gigs will last me a few months till I get the money for the upgrade I'm wanting.

Thanks for the input everyone. Mainly, I'll be playing L4D and such. I'm not big into crysis or anything at the moment, so I figure that with a bit of tweaking of vista ( which I'd be doing either way ), 2 gigs will last me a few months till I get the money for the upgrade I'm wanting.

Zex,

I'm in agreement with the others: Except for intensive grahics use, 2GB is just fine. Vista takes up a higher precentage of RAM than XP Pro does (~ 25% of 1GB versus ~ 40% of 2 GB). In time I'll upgrade to 2 x 2GB but right now it's not a priority.

Zex,

I'm in agreement with the others: Except for intensive grahics use, 2GB is just fine. Vista takes up a higher precentage of RAM than XP Pro does (~ 25% of 1GB versus ~ 40% of 2 GB). In time I'll upgrade to 2 x 2GB but right now it's not a priority.

When I do finally upgrade my computer, I'm going to have 8 gigs of ram. I'll have more than enough for gaming, and I will be able to take full advantage of vista's prefetch ( or is it called superfetch??? I forget ).

Vista will run fine on 2gigs of RAM. Depending on how much you tweak it, Vista make take up to 1 gig of RAM for itself though.

I agree.
You can also go into Services and turn many items to manual so they won't boot up and start up. This will help minimize the system resources you use.
I did this for XP as well. Makes a difference when you really need some HP when gaming.

Back