• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 questions, sleep mode and hdmi display conenction

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firey_chasm

Hi,

I have two windows 7 queries that have been plaguing me for ages now.

1. I cannot put my PC to sleep, every time I do it gets immediately woken up. I have checked the event logs and a USB Hub is responsible. However I have already marked all my usb connections as not being able to power the PC on.

I have tried resetting all my power cfg to default as well to no avail.

I dont know how to be able to narrow it down from the generic usb hub, to find what is waking the PC up though.

Idealy I want to be able to put my PC to sleep instead of turning it off.

2. I have my PC plugged in via HDMI to my reciever, then another HDMI from there to the TV. This works great, however if I am listening to music I turn the TV off and control the music with an app on my phone. The problem is that it will occasionally disconnect and reconnect causing ~2-3 second break in the music. As if it is trying to find the display. This never happens while the TV is on. Any way of stopping windows 7 doing this?

(on a side note as well just incase anyone has any ideas, I use mediaportal as a front end, mediaportal doesnt cope well with changes of resolution and when I turn the amp off, the PC changes its resolution away from 1080p, when I turn it back on the resolution is back at 1080p, however mediaportal stays at the smaller size, to fix this I then need to alt+enter, to exit full screen mode and then do it again to go back to full screen. I am hoping there is a way to prevent windows from changing the resolution when the display is disconnected)

Thanks in advance

Have you tried different chipset or even re-install of chipset drivers ?

DO you have anything plugged in your usb ports that are on that hub ??

I can try downloading new chipset drivers, will do that tonight.

I dont even know which USB hub it is, but yes I probably do :) the event logger gives me a very generic responce that a usb hub woke the PC up

cheers

well if you have stuff plugged into your usb ports than id say go into your device manager and disable each hub one at a time .. when your device stops responding you got the right one.

Once you narrowed down the culprit check drivers or switch to different usb that uses a different hub.

Maybe even try disabling the ones you dont use and see if that solves the issue.

For your second question I believe you got the symptom right as far as device search. Just like when you plug it in, the pc screen flashes and goes to its resolution it causes that split second mute & screen flash.. when removing it (turning the tv off) causes the same removal effect as installation.

I dont belive there is a way to solve this issue except finding a way to leave your tv on. Maybe use low power settings / screen saver .

I guess I will have to manually check each usb hub to see what is waking the pc up :( as updating the chipset driver did nothing. Thanks

As for the audio disconnecting and reconnecting. I know this will happen when I turn the TV on/off however this happens repeatedly while the TV is off (~every 5-10mins which is really irritating when having music on) it sounds like some hdmi handshaking issue. I have no idea why it should even change though as surely it is sending both audio and video out to the amp, it is the reciever that then sends the video out to the tv isnt it? Are there ways to make recievers act to the origonal device as if the tv is still on?

Cheers

I guess I will have to manually check each usb hub to see what is waking the pc up :( as updating the chipset driver did nothing. Thanks

As for the audio disconnecting and reconnecting. I know this will happen when I turn the TV on/off however this happens repeatedly while the TV is off (~every 5-10mins which is really irritating when having music on) it sounds like some hdmi handshaking issue. I have no idea why it should even change though as surely it is sending both audio and video out to the amp, it is the reciever that then sends the video out to the tv isnt it? Are there ways to make recievers act to the origonal device as if the tv is still on?

Cheers

Im sorry I misunderstood about the tv.

Just to clear up a few more things.

Have you tried music playback with TV unplugged all together ??
Have you tried music tv unplugged and no app control ??
How about TV plugged in no app ?

denon 1910 as in my sig if you know a method for onkyo though that coul;d help point me in the right direction for mine.

Cheers
No I was going to say Onkyo's typically have a history of having a delay during the HDMI handshake.

What are your power saving settings like? Is the screen set to shut off after 10 minutes, or go into sleep mode, or spin down hard drives? Do you have an optical cable between the TV and receiver?

Have you tried music playback with TV unplugged all together ??

no I havent tried this yet, but that isnt a long term solution as I dont want to have to unplug the hdmi cable every time I want to turn the tv off and listen to music

Have you tried music tv unplugged and no app control ??

no, as I havent tested unplugging the tv hdmi at all yet
Xtreme Barton;7 404655 said:
How about TV plugged in no app ?

yes, the app deosnt influence this

What are your power saving settings like? Is the screen set to shut off after 10 minutes, or go into sleep mode, or spin down hard drives? Do you have an optical cable between the TV and receiver?
At the moment, the screen is set to never turn off and the pc never to go into sleep (becuase of my 1st issue).

The hard drives are WD green drives (where the music is stored) which automatically power down after a period of inactivity, but this isnt the cause as if it was it would happen while the TV is on as well

Thanks guys

I just asked to eliminate some things .. I know it may not be long term but you could at least say it is this for sure causing it

ok :) I will give it a shot.

Solved the 1st issue (sleep) a program called mpextended which allows me to access tv/films etc over the internet or network was waking up the PC.

Back