• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

20 pin psu to 24 pin motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nfinity

The psu spec
400Watt
5v = 30A
12v = 25A
3.3v = 28A

I was going to use an extra 4pin from a dead 24pin psu and use two extra cables from the 400watt psu to get the 12v 5v 3.3v and ground I need extra to go to that 4 pin.

This should easily be doable right? thinking this 775 motherboard and other hardware won't draw more then 150watts total. 35w cpu, 2GB ddr2 memory, dvd drive and 2 hard drives. that is all it has to power.

The 20 pin will work just fine as long as you arent overloading the 400W PSU. It doesnt require the extra 4 pins to work. As for that 400W PSU, it has a big 5v rail, so it isnt optimal for a newer 775 system. Most of the newer systems like the 12v to be bigger. It should work though, just not optimal.

What make/model PSU, and what CPU/GPU?

You can use a 20pin PSU in a 24pin motherboard without modifying anything, but if the PSU can't handle the parts it won't matter much.

The 20 pin will work just fine as long as you arent overloading the 400W PSU. It doesnt require the extra 4 pins to work. As for that 400W PSU, it has a big 5v rail, so it isnt optimal for a newer 775 system. Most of the newer systems like the 12v to be bigger. It should work though, just not optimal.

So your saying I don’t need the 4pin in the motherboard. So plugging in the 20pin from the psu into the 24 pin motherboard will work by its self without modding? I see how 30a for the 5v is way more than enough and older psu were geared more for that. But 25a for a 12v rail I would think is still fine for what I’m doing… right. My more modern dell machine has a 300watt psu 18a 12v and it has a 24pin motherboard.

By the way, this is the motherboard if it matters..
Jetway I31GM4

What make/model PSU, and what CPU/GPU?

You can use a 20pin PSU in a 24pin motherboard without modifying anything, but if the PSU can't handle the parts it won't matter much.

I didn't know that

powmax lp-8800d psu…. I know… not the best
Jetway I31GM4 motherboard
Celeron 450 – 35watt
Dvd player and 1 or 2 hard drives

Not so much not the best as fairly terrible.
However, if it's just running a 35w CPU and using onboard graphics, it should be up to the task.

Not so much not the best as fairly terrible.
However, if it's just running a 35w CPU and using onboard graphics, it should be up to the task.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to use more then half the watts this psu says it can put out. assuming under load I should be around 150ish for watts required.

So your positive I don't need power sent to those extra 4 pins on this motherboard? It just feels weird leaving them empty.

Yup, positive.
You'll be fine, assuming the PSU doesn't decide to explode.

Yup, positive.
You'll be fine, assuming the PSU doesn't decide to explode.

well, if the psu exploded I wouldn't care, but if it took out my motherboard or anything else, I may be a bit upset but I basically got all the parts for $30 so not a huge loss.

thanks for the advise

Back