• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

200 gig WD shows up as 128 gig.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yog

I recently got this drive and instaled it and everything was fine. It orignally installed as a 128 and then I found the other 63 gigs (or whatever) and then I reformatted that partition and then it disappeared. How do I find that partition again. I checked in disk manager and it doesn't show up as even being there.

Do I need to low-level format it or what?

Thanks in advance

Did you reformat it into a NTFS drive? This might be your problem from seeing the rest of the drive.

lol, I just found 2 of these problems within 5 minutes.

this is likely to be a bios or windows issue. have a look at this thread:

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=242461

shiyan said:
there's that limit in windows to the size of hard disk it can recognize. That limit might be 127GB.

It could also be due to your bios not recognizing anything larger than 127GB, so make sure you have the latest bios.

you probably need to update with some service pack or some other update.

it should should show up as around 149GB, with the 1024 issue, but not as small as 127GB.

I'll try to find you the solution to this...

edit:

do you have the latest bios for your motherboard?

I found an article which should be of some help to you:
http://www.extensiontech.net/reviews/storage/hd/max1602.shtml

to be more precise, maxtor might have a fix for you, have a look
here: http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...pbWl0JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9MyZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMT0z
and here: http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/maxblast3.htm

thanks for the link IMOG! hope you don't mind me stealing your thunder :D

redduc900 said:
You'll need to enable "Large Drive Support" by editing the Registry. Expand the following branch...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CurrentControlSet | Services | atapi | Parameters

In the RH pane, you'll need to add a new DWORD called...

EnableBigLba...with a DWORD Value of 1

The following MSKB article describes the 137GB limitation, and how to enable 48-bit LBA in XP pre-SP1...

How to Enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows XP

The above Registry edit enables support for drives larger than 137GB in W2K pre-SP3 and XP pre-SP1. It's needed anytime a HDD larger than 137GB is connected to the MB's ATA bus, regardless of any BIOS that supports 48-bit LBA. :)

I did all the updates and it still shows up as a 128 gig drive. I think I'll try to low level format it and see what that does and if it will all show up again.

Any other ideas?

This is the only thing you need to do in order to fix it:

redduc900 said:
You'll need to enable "Large Drive Support" by editing the Registry. Expand the following branch...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CurrentControlSet | Services | atapi | Parameters

In the RH pane, you'll need to add a new DWORD called...

EnableBigLba...with a DWORD Value of 1

The following MSKB article describes the 137GB limitation, and how to enable 48-bit LBA in XP pre-SP1...

How to Enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows XP

The above Registry edit enables support for drives larger than 137GB in W2K pre-SP3 and XP pre-SP1. It's needed anytime a HDD larger than 137GB is connected to the MB's ATA bus, regardless of any BIOS that supports 48-bit LBA. :)

Make sure your bios is updated.

yog said:
I did all the updates and it still shows up as a 128 gig drive. I think I'll try to low level format it and see what that does and if it will all show up again.

Any other ideas?

low level format will certainly not help at all...

IMOG said:

Buying the card is not necessary, don't waste your money unless you want to.

IMOG definitely knows what he is talking about. you only need to buy a card if your bios does not support drives that large and you can't get a BIOS upgrade.

Sorry to dig up old threads, but it seemed easier than starting a new one.

I built my new system (A64, MSI-7030) and I finally got around to looking at my drives and I realize that one of them is hosed. My 120 and 250 are reading fine, but the 200 is reading 137Gb.

After a few/three emails back and forth to a WD tech guy, he called and we spoke for 30 minutes or so and he seems to think it has to do with my OS or BIOS. What I don't understand, though, is why my 250Gb works just fine if it's a BIOS issue, not to mention the fact that it's a freakin' new board and I'm running XP Pro SP2, so I should be covered all around.

I hate the thought of losing a slug of stuff to a reformat, so please, folks, a little help here?

EDIT to add:
My old system was an Athlon Mobile 2400+ with XP Pro SP1 (or SP1a?) that was all of 7 months old, so it's not like I moved these drives over from some ancient computer.

Also, I just found out that my 80Gb drive is crapped out, too. I wonder if it's a WD thing, since the Maxtors don't seem to have a problem. The WD that's the OS was wiped and written new with the upgraded hardware so that would be exempt since it was formatted right of the bat.

FURTHER EDIT to add:
I slapped the 80Gb in an external enclosure (Coolmax CD-309) and I was able to read from it. I haven't checked to see if it will now play nice in the system regularly, or if it is always going to have to be accessed through the USB (until I copy everything and reformat, anyway).
The 200Gb drive still didn't work over USB, though. :(

Last edited:
Back