• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

200 Mhz on MN31N!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, because overclocking wasn't my primary concern, and having a slick looking mATX case for my new MN31N was, I'm not going to RMA it, I just may need to look into a better cooling solution, especially once I mount my CDRW/DVDROM drive in it. Then the airflow will really be restricted. One a good note though, they no longer make it with the window it seems. It came with a mesh grill on the side instead of that retarded looking tinted window. I'm going to upgrade the fans and try to fit an Aerocool DP-102 in it. I'll measure first, but I will be getting one large HD to replace both of my HDs (40GB and 60GB) so I should have a little bit more clearance in the case soon. If I have to I can always use it as a desktop to reduce stress from the weight of the heatsink on the mobo. Besides, I can't stand those stupid cube shaped cases.

I can't wait for my income tax refund....

I'm running 190FSB right now after 10 hours of folding. We're steady at 47-48C (depending on room temperature) with stock cooling and stock voltage. I'll bump it up to 195FSB and see how things go. I've also set the RAM timing to 2-2-2.5. Looking good so far. The real test is when I overclock my 9600XT, will I raise the case temp too much?

Update: I don't know if it's the RAM timings, the CPU or the PSU, but a couple times when I was running Folding@Home, downloading a few torrents and encoding a movie, I got a Windows XP blue screen with a bunch of nonsense on it. So I don't know if I over heated or the RAM screwed up or I the PSU couldn't keep up. I'll be checking the voltages on the PSU and putting the RAM timings back to stock to start, and bumping up the FSB. At what temp do your CPUs overheat? If mine is overheating, it looks to be about 49C, provided the temp guages are correct. Aren't Bartons supposed to be good to the low 50's?

Last edited:
Ah, well, with one HD defragmenting, Azureus and F@H running and the FSB at 185, the PSU is at 11.78V on the 12V line. Looks like I'll be getting that Shuttle PSU after all. Then again....I'm going to buy a 200GB HD to replace both of these drives, so maybe I won't need it....

You are how my comp was for a while untill I got a better power supply and ram. My pc2100 did 187 with 2.5volts. My pc3200 did up to 195 with 2.5 volts, so I knew the psu was holding back. Now it is just the bios. I tried using nvidia system utility to get more volts, but it won't let me because the mn31n is not supported, although shuttle's smaller boards work with it. The nv system utility allows changing of the fsb, but I can't get past 200Mhz without it going unstable.

Well, the Sparkle (Fortron) PSU is supposed to be good. It's been fine since I disconnected the LCD front panel and all the temp guages and such and I'm up to 11.84 on the 12v line. At idle, I'm around 40C, so I'll be looking into a better heatsink anyway. I'm thinking the Aerocool DP-102 Deep Impact, even though it's 800g+. I'll make a mounting bracket for the back if I have to so it doesn't pull the socket out. Why they didn't use the mounting holes, I don't know, but it arguably the most powerful air cooler on the market, and far quieter than the SLK-948 or SP97 while getting the same temps, maybe a degree or two better depending upon the case setup. I think I might mount the Shuttle PSU on the top of the case (because it's short and long), route the cables through the back and mount a 120mm exhaust where the PSU should be. There's so much space around the CPU because there's no capacitor's next to it and the main PSU connector is at the front of the board, you can do a lot. I'd do water cooling, but that's too much time and effort for right now. First up though, I'm getting a VGA Silencer.

Back