• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2003 week last unlocked Barton was manufactured

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just got a AQXEA 0347... I assume it's locked. We'll see how high I can go, let's hope we can find a fix for this soon. :(

Sorry masitti, extensive tests were done by other members of this forum, looks like we won't be able to.

Good all Hoot sliced up a working locked Barton just to confirm this.

Hoot said:
It's unlocked, so you can also raise or lower the multiplier. Keep us abreast as you work through it's limitations. A lot of people are looking at the 2800 recently.

Hoot

I got my new heatsink and fan i raised my FSB to 12.5*186 its runing at 2330MHz. its been runing smooth and very good. temps also dropped 20+F. fan is alil loud but after a few days you dont even notice it. hopefully ill get my new P.S. here soon alone with some new PC-3200 then i can see where i can go from there

c627627 said:
Sorry masitti, extensive tests were done by other members of this forum, looks like we won't be able to.

Good all Hoot sliced up a working locked Barton just to confirm this.

Yea, figured. Well, I played around, and with little effort, have reached this:

Attachments

• oc.jpg
    oc.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 227
perhaps yet a visible difference locked vs. unlocked Barton?

Hi!

It's way too late anyways, I know, because most of you will have a very hard time to get by an unlocked Barton at your local shop now, plus it's absolutely unverified information, but there a hints that it might (just might!) be possible to tell locked ones form unlocked ones.
What I'm referring to is the badge carrying the stepping information.
Some people have suggested locked ones would display two differences (1) there is the AMD logo visible on the badge of the locked ones (2) the serial on locked Bartons contains letters as well as digits.
There are even at least two rather reliable reports of locked AQXDA 0315(!) MPM Bartons at the German forum of www.planet3dnow.com. As I understand, both of these had the new badge.
Well, semetrix reported a locked 0335 Barton (on page 30 of this thread) which also had a serial starting with a letter (sorry, semetrix...)

Core info 2500+:

AXDA 2500 DKV4D Z359127250156
AQZFA 0335 MPMW (tm)(c) 1999 AMD

"Update: Retail and bought in The Netherlands."

And it's LOCKED!!!!

I can't change the MP on an Asus A7N8X rev 1.04.....i've tried everything i know. Flashed bios 1004 till 1007 and none of them could change the MP.

Do i have the lowest week thats locked?

Would be nice to know if he had the AMD logo on his badge, too.
So, for what it's worth...

Wait, you're saying that for unlocked Bartons
1. There are no letters on the serial number.
2. There is no AMD logo.

Where's the logo located on the locked chips exactly?

Welcome to the forums errol, let's see if anyone who owns an unlocked Barton can post if this is true.

Umm.. check out my unlocked Barton 2500+.. one of the 3 i own.. soon to be shipped out to some lucky guy!

2500+Barton420.jpg

Yeah, I was summarizing what he was saying just so we're clear, I knew there were markings with letters on unlocked Bartons, but what's this with the AMD logo he's saying?

c627627 said:
Yeah, I was summarizing what he was saying just so we're clear, I knew there were markings with letters on unlocked Bartons, but what's this with the AMD logo he's saying?

No idea.. Plus there is a letter in the serial #.. Starts wtih Y.. though thats common.

Hello!

Well, I tried to use a very cautious wording but apparently I failed.
What I'm referring to is this post
zusatz ,

mir viel gerade ein hatte mal nen AQXEA aus 11 2003 und der war ungelockt
also denke ich gab es früher generell keine gelockten barton´s .

jetzt frage ich mich, was soll das von AMD, AQXDA war so ziemlich das erste stepping
vom Barton, datieren die die dinger jetzt schon zurück.

aber eins ist mir aufgefallen und zwar gehts um den kleinen schwarzen aufkleber auf dem das stepping etc. steht , bei allen gelockten war es ein neuer mit dem AMD symbol auf dem aufkleber und innerhalb der seriennumer sind buchstaben, was bei den ungelockten auch nicht war .

which in plain English would be:

addendum,

just remember I once owned an AQXEA from week 11 in 2003 which was unlocked, so I gather before there weren't any locked Bartons

Now I wonder what's AMD doing, for AQXDA was really almost the first stepping of Bartons. Are they now even predating their babies?

But one thing was conspicuous, namely the little black sticker with stepping and all. Locked ones featured a new badge displaying the AMD symbol and further there were letters within the serial - something the unlocked Bartons hadn't either.

So, as you already noticed, semetrix serial is quite normal on this account and I got this one wrong; the first letter alone at least is definitely unimportant - sorry.

Again, all of this is completely unverified as of yet. It could all be rubbish and I duly apologize in advance should it be that way...

Last edited:
I've looked at some pictures of locked Bartons, so unless this logo is in 3D, I can't see any AMD logo on stickers of locked Bartons.

To be clear, do you see the black sticker on an unlocked Barton KnownKiller posted above? There is no logo to be seen on it just like I couldn't see any logos on known locked chips.

So unless it can't be photographed, there are no AMD logos on at least some locked chips either.

This would mean we gave it a shot errol but there is still no way to tell locked and unlocked chips apart.

I just got an AQZEA0341RPMW with a brown pcb from Best Buy. I have yet to install it but will report back with if its locked as soon as I do.

Hi!

So, no hope there. Somehow, I was afraid you would say that.

I assume that guy meant the small symbol visible below the upper left corner on the photo above appeared on his black stepping sticker, which he (too?) hastily took for AMD having changed the layout of the badge somewhat. Remember, that guy claims he drew a locked Barton form week 15 (!), which alongside a new sticker could tell us something. Also, another guy claimed in that very same thread at planet3dnow that he also got the exact same cpu (also locked, also week 15)

user burningstar:
Ich habe eben genau den selben bekommen. Der lässt sich weder über multi noch über FSB hochtakten

Die genaue bezeichnung ist AQXDA 0315 MPM

Habe das ASROCK k7S8X. Multiplikator änderungen werden einfach ignoriert und wenn ich FSB erhöhe sagt mir das bios:" Ihr CPU mag sie nicht, ändern sie die einstellungen oder ich setze sie automatisch zurück"
Wenn ich per jumper auf FSB 200 stelle kackt er ab, kurz nachdem windows geladen hat.

user maro [this guy was the first to report a locked week 15 Barton]:
also ich will damit sagen das es jetzt schon barton´s aus der 15KW gibt die anscheinend
mit dem neuen multilock versehen sind , was ich anfangs nicht glauben konnte und wollte
und was mir an der ganzen sache komisch vorkommt ist, obwohl die cpu aus der 15KW ist und eigendlich das typenschild noch im alten designe sein sollte , ist auf dieser cpu schon eins im neuen designe mit dem AMD symbol , finde ich auf jeden fall komisch oder und wenn jemand in einem PC-Shop ähnliche cpu´s findet die aus einer KW stammen die eigendlich ungelokt sein sollen welche auch das neue typenschild mit dem AMD-Symbol auf dem aufkleber haben , sollte er vorsichtig sein.

It just occurres to me it could just as well be two cases of remarked and (rather carelessly) faked cpus if nobody else can confirm that such stickers really exist...

Anyway, this is probably a dead end, case apparently closed, sorry for stirring up any kind of unwarranted hope.

Just got my mobile 2500 barton from newegg. Unlocked, 0335, boots at 2500 (200x12.5 @ 1.7v), on abit kr7a-133r. Gotta do the volt mod cause 1.7v is the max. Also, i gotta look for the wire trick to get higher multis.

NapalmV5 said:
Just got my mobile 2500 barton from newegg. Unlocked, 0335, boots at 2500 (200x12.5 @ 1.7v), on abit kr7a-133r. Gotta do the volt mod cause 1.7v is the max. Also, i gotta look for the wire trick to get higher multis.

Wow. Great chip!

Whats the full stepping napalm ? IQXEA ? What about all teh other numbers and such please ? I have a source I can ask for specific steppings and I would very much appreciate the info !
Thanx

Hi-
I just got a Barton 2600 from monarch, and the processor sticker is as follows: AQZFA 0338SPMW.
From reading many of the postings over the last couple of mins, I think I have a week 38? could anyone validate?
I'm going to be building my computer tomorrow and will find out for sure if it is locked, but wanted to see if anyone would know from the description.
Thanks--the newby

Yes, you have a week 38. You'd be the first to report if it's multiplier locked or not by booting up with, say slightly lower multiplier to see if it would actually post with that multiplier.

Thanks and good luck, it should overclock well either way. It's just that if it's locked, I hope you have good PC3200 ram...

Back