• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

24" sony $300 should i?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d94

$30 a phone
well, this is my 2nd "should i" thread :beer:
i seem to have good luck locally

dude is selling a 2yr old one rebranded by HP for $300 firm
i have a 2005fpw as my main monitor, but use a 22" as my 2nd monitor for watching tv and anything else.

what do you guys think? :D
should i grab it, or wait on another $300 2005fpw?

so u would be upgrading from a 22 inch crt to a 24 inch crt, for 300?

if that is the case..i would say no. i wouldn't.. too much for 2 extra inches. money could be better spent on something else.. like some new DDR2-800 mem sticks when they come out in june

the 2005FPW is an LCD not a CRT. Anyway if you game a lot and arent happy with black levels/bleeding/etc, on your 2005FPW then i'd say pick this up I have it and its fantastic for movies, etc. Get some paper and a black ink pen, break the pins ink container and drip it onto the paper, thats how the black levels look on this thing.

The only problem I see is that the FW900 is a 16:10 aspect monitor and if you're going to use it for watching TV it'll most likely be 4:3 aspect channels correct? this means the FW900 will display it with black bars on the sides unless you dont mind stretching the screen and losing proper aspect ratio, other than this its a superb monitor ive had mine for 8 months (sony branded). It's great watching HDTV 720p/1080i sources on this monitor as well.

Heres what it looks like sitting next to a 22" Mitsubishi CRT:

Sony GDM-FW900 16:10 24" CRT "active display area"
Diagonal: 22.5" viewable
Horizontal: 18.98"
Vertical: 12.13"

Mitsubishi 2020u 4:3 22" CRT "active display area"
Diagonal: 20" viewable
Horizontal: 16"
Vertical: 12"

compare.jpg

hmmm guess ill just keep what i have!
as tv is better square lol