• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

24" WIDESCREEN CRT for gaming or movies! Forget LCD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KnownKiller

This CRT is the biggest ever made and also kicks some serious LCD tail! 24 inches of widescreen CRT goodness.. Retailed a few years ago for $2500+ and you can find them on ebay and craigs list locally if your lucky for around 100-200+. Lucas films/Pixar uses them and the people who made the movie 300 used them exclusivly as it was the only monitor to give them perfect color for there film.

I just bought one off a guy locally a few days ago and its a perfect picture and nothing better for gaming! Fast response and high refresh rates. Gaming in 1920x1200 is awesome! Movies are the best as well on this monitor! HD/Blue ray would be incredable! My 22" LCD is going to my nefiew for Christmas ;)

If anyone is interested in hunting one down search for either Sony FW900 or HP A7217A. There both made by HP but the sony is a dark silver color and the HP is off white.

yup as soon as i got my samsung 20" ws lcd monitor home and saw how abolutely horrific it looked on any game i drove to the same people in mi that sell on ebay and picked one up for ~300.
best purchase i ever made. i use the samsung as a 2nd monitor and next to each other its night and day. the samsung is overbright with awful color and pathetic black. the sony has rich accurate color (its incredibly adjustable) and inky blacks.
ill never play games on lcd again. in fact im lurking around for another one of these sonys to stockpile for when this one dies.

Soo.... How much does it weigh? ;)

Is it possible to game at 2304x1440? That would be totally crazy, and those GTXs could probably handle it.

GAWD that monitor is dead sexy... and i thought my Sony Trintron 21incher was big and huge and heavy and super sexy lol.

and crt's kick the **** outta lcd... unless lcds have the refreshrates of crts like my trinitron... i aint gonna be going to a LCD unless i REALLY have to.

Although not gonna lie... the Samsung 5271 hdtv (52inch lcd 120hz) plays crysis OHH so nice.

I've got the HP model and yes crysis at 2048x1280 @85hz was like looking out a window instead of at a screen. Be careful though the whole line of FW-900's (HP and sony alike) seem to be touchier than the other trinitrons. I'm actually returning mine to the guy I bought it from because I need to have the contrast and brightness unacceptably low for it to be in focus.

And take everything in that thread with a grain of salt, pretty much everyone there believes the monitor must be perfect and you're doing something wrong or just need to adjust the dynamic convergence with windas (as though that fixes non-convergence problems...).

Soo.... How much does it weigh? ;)

Is it possible to game at 2304x1440? That would be totally crazy, and those GTXs could probably handle it.

you can run it that high but optimum quality is at 1920x1200
it weighs just shy of 100 pounds as i recall.definitely glad i lived on the bottom floor that day!

Probably uses the same amount of power as a small office building :) I've always preferred LCD's, I don't see anything special about CRT's?

Probably uses the same amount of power as a small office building :) I've always preferred LCD's, I don't see anything special about CRT's?
Way better colors and black levels. Higher resolutions and higher refresh rates. The only downside to a crt is size and weight.

I guess if someone is really picky about colors and black level it would be worthwhile, but for me it just isn't that important. Guess it's more of a personal preference. I'll be glad to stick with my 10lb panel, even if it means bad blacks and washed out color :) 2304x1440 would be insane though :D

You forgot refresh rate. When I look at an lcd (ANY lcd) it looks like this , I know I'm not the only one allergic to LCD's.

I got one last year and prob will never use an LCD as a main gaming monitor unless I move and just cant bring the darn thing with me. When I moved from the dorms to an off campus house I built a desk just to hold the 93 pound monster. Also the monitor unoffically supports up to 2560x1600.

Way better colors and black levels. Higher resolutions and higher refresh rates. The only downside to a crt is size and weight.

And CRT's gobble power ;)

But they are very pretty.

I wonder if there is an "Image Restore" option to get rid of the slight green tint on my Trinitron G410. The option does not appear after 30 minutes (or 6 hours).

there is another option in the menu of my monitor that takes away green from the sides. It has something to do with landing or something. I would tell you the exact name of this adjustment option but I am 300 miles away from mine for the next day or so.

Also for me the power use is a positive because there is no heating in my house, well there is a heater but we dont want to turn it on (dont ask and no its not a money issue), so my room is the hottest in the house. Instead of being 40-50 its 60-70 if I keep the door shut.

well my crt's where never that great, though my first gen acer 17" screen didn't have great colors either.

Now i've made the switch to a Samsung 226CW 22" monitor and the colors on this are amazing, it doesn't weigh alot either and doesn't take in much room(for me its a big plus)

other lcd's like my dads medion and my brothers 1st gen lcd just have horrifying colors that look like crap..but with this monitor, well..I can't say I see much difference with that CRT

Since when were all geeks wimps and can't lift 100lbs?

Anyway, I can see a major difference between my LCD and CRT, so can my wife. And to put that into perspective, she can't see the difference between HD and SD on the plasma.

actually the weight is only like half the problem when moving it. The biggest problem is the distribution of the wieght. All of the weight is towards the screen where as most of the volume of the monitor is in the back far behind the screen making it very top heavy while moving it.

ive been looking into getting one of these

if i ever get one i guess i have to get myself a new desk, why did go with that desk with the glass and thin metal legs, ugh

I wish they still made these, I can't find a good one anywhere.

It's as if we've taken a step backwards over the past few years to kiss the uneducated consumer's ***.

Back