• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

24" WIDESCREEN CRT for gaming or movies! Forget LCD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well thats the prob.. they going backwards with the new TN panels there using now which are cheaper for better response times. There only 6bit panels insted of the older models which are 8bit and slower. If you want a good decent picture you must spend around 450-650+ for the 8bit panels and also are 8ms response time. Even with those panels, crt still wins out with better color and perfect response time and perfect veiwing angles.

Really the only thing LCDs have over crt is sharp text.. which a few have said use both LCD for browsing the web and CRT for gaming and movies.

I still have not tried it, but a few people have stated that using good quallity BNC cables with this 24" CRT gives you clearer text. Personally i just changed the text to bold and i can read it just fine.

I got a BNC cable for mine and cloned the output and toggled between them via the input selector. IMHO there is no reason to get a BNC cable as the picture is the same at least to my eyes. I currently use a vga cable with it for one reason only, when you use a BNC cable it was harder to customize resolutions and refresh rates both via windows and via powerstip. You still can get everything to work with the BNC cable its just that its not worth the effort for no improvement in my eyes. If getting a BNC cable brings you peace of mind then by all means get one then. BTW this cable was very fat as well and thus was a good quality cable.

The crt is sharp enough for me to read at 2560x1600* from 3 feet back at normal dpi, I cant move any further back in my current setup, but lcds are still sharper for text IMHO. Also lcds are easier on the eyes for desktop use which is why I choose to use my crt for games and movies and use an lcd for general computer use.

*I could only run this rez at 67 hz which hurt my eyes as I could see it refresh so I dont use it anymore. I only used it for testing of sharpness.

Last edited:
Sorry, my post there seems like overrating LCDs ;). Yeah, of course the real response time of LCDs is still far behind CRTs (relatively speaking). But in my opinion perhaps in 4 or 5 years (maybe sooner) there'll be some technology viable enough to provide a performance as close as that of CRTs for LCDs.

Personally I think in 4 or 5 years we'll still be using flatpanels, but not necessary LCD's.

Back to the topic of the FW900 though, does anybody know if theres any way of repairing a monitor to get focus back?

I really hope so. It seems like most companies are not really willing to risk much r&d on new tech like sed and oled. I will believe it when I see it as many people have been expecting retail sed and oled monitors to come out soon for at least 3 years now. There have been some highly expensive verisons here and there but overall sed and oled have yet to deliever

optimum quality is at 1920x1200

Thats what I run mine at.....Best picture quality I have ever seen in my life..:)

I have been using it for about 18 months and I dread the day it dies.....I don't see any way I could ever use an LCD again...

Back