• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2400+ mobile overclock disapointing :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EZ Tutty

Registered
I have a AthlonXP Mobile 2400+ cpu with a stepping of AXMH2400FQQ4C
but i can't get clocks as high as everyone else...

i can get it to run 210 x 10.5 = 2.2Ghz @ 1.7v
but it takes 1.9v to get it stable at 2.3Ghz

Motherboard = NF7-S v2.0 with Better NB cooling, a SB Heatsink and MOSFET Sinks
RAM = Geil 1Gb PC3500 Goldern Dragon Dual Channel
Cooling = Thermalright SLK-900U + Antec 92mm Fan
PSU = Cheiftec 360Watt Dual Fan (i wondered if this might be the problem)

Does anyone have any suggestions

havent heard too much about that stepping, but I know that the 2500 and the 2600's were supposed to be much better OC'ers than the 2400 (mobiles). The IQYHA stepping from excaliberPC.com just rocks.

Other than that, your system seems good, so nothing else to blame but the CPU... maybe you dont have proper contact between HS and CPU? what about thermal paste?

thats not the stepping. The stepping is under that code. It should be like AQXEA or something in that nature its a 5 letter code.

Im going for youre power supply is the problem. It could also be the Golden dragon ram you have.

I got the pc3200 1gb kit and it never worked in duel channle very well, got a second kit and still got tons of error's and would overclock worth poop.

Download Memtest86 http://www.memtest86.com/ download it to youre floppy disk.

Reboot the pc with the floppy in and let the test run, if you get any error's youre ram is the culprit. Take the memory out off duel channle and put both stick in slot 2 and 3 for single channle. Run memtest again i bet the error's will go away

dreIU there is good contact between the cpu and heatsink and i'm using arctic silver 5 thermalpaste

CandymanCan i know the ram is good for the fsb i'm running, i've also tried lower fsb's and higher multipliers.

also i've tried just running the very basics on the PSU and i still get the same limits, but it could still be a power problem.

The cpu stepping is IQYHA

EZ Tutty said:
dreIU there is good contact between the cpu and heatsink and i'm using arctic silver 5 thermalpaste

CandymanCan i know the ram is good for the fsb i'm running, i've also tried lower fsb's and higher multipliers.

also i've tried just running the very basics on the PSU and i still get the same limits, but it could still be a power problem.

The cpu stepping is IQYHA

ok then... do you a way to testing with another psu? I think you should think about upgrading it anyway, you might want a newver video card in the near future, and it will be just safe that way. I think I paid about 70bucks for my true480 (antec).

But then again, it may be that 2400 isn't the oCer you expected... no sure way to tell until you experiment some more.

the only other PSU i can try is a cheapo 350watt one :(

and i have a feeling it isn't the 2400+'s fault as i had a 2500+ desktop before that did more or less the same thing,

it is really possible that is is your PSU. because my Antec 430w true power ran out at like 2400mhz w/ my 2600+xp-m and a 9800pro(it would go alittle higher w/ my 9600xt in it).

but it seems that alot of the newer 2400+'s are clocking as good as the old ones:cry:

do you know the whole stepping?
example: IQYHA-0351-MPMW

yours would be IQYHA-xxxx-xxxx

0351 being the date code, it means Year=2003, week 51 of that year.

if you dont know it, dont take your pros out just to get it;)

hmmm i think a new psu is next on my shopping list then :(

i'm not to sure of the codes after the IQYHA, but next time i take the CPU out i'll have a looky

thanks for the help anywayz :)

ok i'm all most 100% sure it is the PSU, yesterday i had just the motherboard, cpu, cpu fan, graphics and hdd connected, and i could run prime95 at 2.21Ghz @ 1.7v, today i put all the stuff back in my case connect all my drives, fans, cathodes, and peripherals and prime doesn't even run for 5seconds....

do you think an Antec 450watt will do the job - http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=43170

i was also looking at this one - http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=603244 but i've never heard of X-PRO b4, so i'm unsure

Last edited:
have you tried just leaving the FSB at 200 and raising the Mult. that's a good way to find out if it's your CPU that's topping out.

yeh tried that, does more or less the same speeds at the same voltages :(

Hey you should try my ****ing chip, i have a **** stepepingl not these sweet 'I' steppings.

well i've managed to get the money together to order the Antec 450watt psu from ebuyer on friday (payday lol), i'll also order some spiral wrap and make it look smart :D, i'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks for the help y'all!

Get yourself a Fortron 530w, reasonably priced and plenty of power,that is a great place to start,and as stated try upping the multi to determine if the chip is at fault or something else, only up the voltage if you need to to stabalize the overclock and keep close tabs on the temps they can cause poor overclocks like nothing else.

-Milkman

well i got the psu, seems to have dun nothing for my overclock :(

Any suggestions what else could it be?

All I could do with my 2400+ was 2.3 with 1.81v. I have an SP-97 for it, which got me from 2.2 to 2.3. I was satisfied with 2.3 tho, never tried for anything higher. Now my wife has that rig and its OCing days are over.

well looks like my overclocking days are over too, i think next time i'll just buy a fast chip, and stick with it... :(

I've decided to run at 2.2ghz, as this is possible at 1.75v, to get 2.3ghz stable it takes me 1.9v!!!!!! :mad:

More Wasted money on a Mobile CPU and a PSU :( never mind

Back