• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to buy for Overclocking Mobile Barton

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, after doing my taxes this weekend, I think I'll go ahead and get a Mobile Barton 2500+ with all the other stuff and see how it does. I'll post here with results in a week or so after I get everything up and running.

Well I've purchased my system.

AMD Mobile Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S (2.0)
1GB Kingston HyperX PC3500 CL2-2-2
2xSATA 150 WD 10,000 RPM Raptor Raid 0
Thermaltake Extreme Volcano 12

I started o/c ing at 200x11 and upped the vcore to 1.625. All seemed stable, prime 95, etc.

When I ran Winbond, it gave me a warning on my vio voltage. The alarm was set for 3.62 volts, and I was running at 3.64. I upped the alarm to 4V and system seemed stable

Next, I tried upping to 200x12.5 at 1.65 vcore. System doesn't boot.

You may be right. But I'm more concerned about the fact that my system won't boot.

I pulled all power, moved the CMOS juper to 2-3, waited at least 5 minutes, put the jumper back, and still no go. I even pulled the cmos battery and nothing.

I also removed the HSF and checked the core for damage. None was visible. I reapplied the thermal paste and HSF. Still will not boot.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
If you already tried taking out the CMOS battery and resetting the CMOS jumper and putting back the CMOS battery...I doubt you have a bad stick of ram since you successfully have successfully booted. It could be that by moving from 200x11 to 200x12.5 suddenly you did not increase the Vcore enough and your Volcano 12 couldn't handle it so your cpu fried. But that's highly unlikely...How are the rails on your psu?

Unfortunately I can't measure them. I've tried using a voltmeter, but I don't get any reading.

I plugged in another power supply, and the board POSTs. So, it appears my PSU has shut itself down.

Now I have to figure out how to jump start it. It's a FSP530-60GNA from fortron source.

between a 2500+ and a 2600+ its all luck of the draw. i bought both and my 2600+ does 2600mhz @ 1.90volts and my 2500+ does 2800mhz at 1.92volts. both prime stable watercooled.

Well I searched Fortron Source's home page, and nothing. From what I've read, it looks like it can be "remotely started" or unplugged to be reset. But leaving it unplugged doesn't seem to do anything. It still won't power up.

I found a website that shows how to short two pins on the ATX connector to see if your PSU is dead.

I get a brief turn of the fan, but no power. The other power supply (200W) works fine, and powers the board, so I'm guessing I have a dead PSU.

Also you can check the voltage from the Power_OK pin to a common pin to see if it passes the self test (2V). Mine does not (0 v).

So- is it a defective PSU, or did I kill it by overclocking my CPU?

Last edited:
PSU is dead. I'll RMA for another. Just bought an Antec 430W to hold me over in the mean time. Will try again...

My Vio on the +3.3V rail is going over when I overclock. What settings in the BIOS need to change in order to prevent over-voltage protection from kicking in on the PSU?

Currently overclocking at 2500MHz (200x12.5, 1.875 vcore). Seems stable. CPU temp is 40C idle.

DFI Infinity is better than the NF7 in every way

Barton 2500 is the best mobile overclocker because it has newer stepppings than the 2600 does

Try to get BH5 ram if you can.... BH6 for second best... then CH5 if all else fails

I have a Sparkle 550w psu that is a great powersupply that is very quiet

Nice overclock.

The best memory choice today, IMHO, is Kingston HyperX 3000. It's all CH5, but I'll be darned if anyone can actually feel a palpable difference between tRCD 2 and tRCD 3. Personally I can't see a difference between 11-4-4-3 and 6-3-2-2 timings... that's just me.

Also, my recommendation would be towards a Pentium 4 or a Athlon64 at this time for a full system, unless money is a large concern. A mobile Barton is a good upgrade by itself, but if you're buying a CPU/Mobo combination, there are better choices than the Athlon XP.

Gautam said:
IMHO, is Kingston HyperX 3000. It's all CH5

If you order form shop.kingston now, yes, you will most likely get CH-5. People at XS have recently ordered from ZipZoomFly and Newegg and got BH-5. Even one guy ordered from shop.kingston one month ago and got BH-6.

Back