• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2500k @ 4.5 GHz: Which cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chuggowitz

I'm making a new rig and I'm trying to decide on a cooler. Currently looking at the Zalman CNPS9900 MAX-R, the Corsair H80 and the Corsair H100. I'm aware the Noctua NH-D14 is probably better than the Zalman, but it is so hideous I could never be happy with it. I'm leaning towards the H80 or H100(for the sake of 10 dollars, why not). It needs to fit on an ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe Gen3 board in a HAF 932 Advanced (which has tonnes of space). I'm open to other suggestions, so long as the aesthetics of the cooler don't make me want to spew my lunch all over my monitor.

Rig:
CPU: Core i5 2500k
MB: ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3
RAM: Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1866 8gb (4gbx2)
GPU: eVGA SC GTX 580 1.5gb
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb
PSU: Cougar SX850
SSD: Corsair Force 40gb
Case: HAF 932 Advanced

For the rig in your sig, any of the 3 you listed will work just fine. I reviewed the Zalman on a Bloomfield 930 and it did a decent job of cooling it at 4.0, so it's up to the task of cooling a 2500k at much higher clocks. The H80 is another one I've reviewed and it's a much better performer than the Zalman, but it's also noisy at max fan speeds. But you won't need max fan speed to cool a 2500k either. The H100 is probably way overkill for your 2500k.

For some other quality choices, you can look at the Thermalright TRUE Rev. C, Venomous X, Silver Arrow, HR-02 Macho, (new model) True Spirit 120, True Spirit 140, or MUX-120. For Prolimatech, I would recommend the Genesis. For price/performance I would also recommend a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus or Evo, which should be comparably priced with the True Spirit.

That should give you plenty to look at that will perform well to superb on your 2500k.

Ive had a change of heart on the NH D-14, its a good cooler. Some viewers may remember I didnt have too much good to say about it. But we have come to an understanding :)

My buddy is getting the H100 for an insane 2600k build that I will be putting together for him, he is pretty stoked, and Im a bit jealous :)

I'm aware it's an excellent cooler, it and the silver arrow would probably be my first choices for a premium air heatsink, but they are also two of the most grotesque heatsink's I've ever seen. If they came with fans that didn't resemble something that came out of a baby, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase them. The H80 is often on sale for a comparable price and doesn't make me want to empty my bowels. Also, I probably would just set it to mid-range fan speeds. My basement where the computer will be is usually about 20 degrees, so along with the H80 on mid fan speeds, and the airflow from my case, I don't think I'd experience any problems.

On that note however, with a low temperature environment would could I manage a stable 24/7 OC at 4.5GHz with air cooling?

Last edited:
Honestly I like my oldskool true, circa 2007.. The one everyone complained about. It kix axe. I use 2x 38x120 panaflos, for temps that are in excess of 12-20c lower @ load compared to my D14. I wanted to stick my true on my 9550, but cant find the top part of the mount, really sucks. My d14 is quiet.. My true is loud and brash with its tightly packed fins and intense cfm. But I still see better temps then most all in one water kits, a bold statement, I know :) I am off this weekend, so I will be useing my true again. But I like the quiet, so Im torn.

Enough :blah: from me tho, Whichever you choose will do you well.. Winters comeing :thup:

Back