• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

27" 2560x1440 Monitor Under $400!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Fair enough.... I guess I'm accustomed to buying base model screens in a given size. I can be a bit of a cheap skate at times. From that point of view, the base isn't bad.... Viewsonic screens generally have equivalent bases also.... At least the one ships with this looks kind of cool. I like the Chrome ring around the outside and the clea middle on the base. With the shiny screen bevel and shiny screen to go with it it gives a reasonably classy look despite it actually being cheap :D

The major win apart for me though from the great display quality was the subtle power light. Doesn't keep me awake. ;)

If you want to change the stand, do yourself a favor and buy the shimian instead of the catleap, its much easier to change that stand, I cant tell what stand you linked as my phone doesnt like the link, but the monitors have vesa mounts.

Looks awesome! I can just imagine 3x beautiful Catleaps :drool::drool::drool:

Sucks that the back is hard to get off though.

OK I'm doing it friday, 3 27'' lol, hope it's better then one dell 3011 because ill be selling that after i get my monitors. 3 5870s should be good with games like rift and Diablo

Yeah, I'll be waiting for the next gen of cards before upgrading again. I've dropped my BF3 settings to high otherwise it lags during game play at 2560x1440. It STILL looks better than 1920x1050 on Ultra anyway.

Last edited:
Oh for sure, stand wasnt a deal breaker, I just want to prepare people for the worst, that way if they get a decent one its a pleasant suprise :D

Supertrucker,

What was bad about the stand. Bad is subjective. Remember I own a CRT. So I'm not familiar w/stands for flat panels.

I do like the glass on the Apple's Thunderbolt monitor. Can you run those on a PC system, I'd think you could?

when im looking on ebay at the monitors, it says the power is 220, where do you get a 120 at?

Yeah, I'll be waiting for the next gen of cards before upgrading again. I've dropped my BF3 settings to high otherwise it lags during game play at 2560x1440. It STILL looks better than 1920x1050 on Ultra anyway.

That's good to know! MJ, for my mATX build, aside from an SSD, I was thinking of getting WD's Caviar Black 1TB (definitely want 7200rpms), what do you think? I saw you had some different good drives. How do they compare?

when im looking on ebay at the monitors, it says the power is 220, where do you get a 120 at?

The adaptors that come with the Catleap's handle 120-240v.

q270-06_d.jpg

That's good to know! MJ, for my mATX build, aside from an SSD, I was thinking of getting WD's Caviar Black 1TB (definitely want 7200rpms), what do you think? I saw you had some different good drives. How do they compare?

I use the SSD for my Windows, MS Office and BF3. All other games get installed on my 10,000RPM Veloceraptor, with the 1.5TB 5900RPM drive as a data drive only. Each of these are fast enough for what they're used for. Games work perfectly off the Veloceraptor though if I didn't already have it lying around it would be cheaper to just step up to a 240GB SSD and get a better overall experience. :shrug:

All up I find the other two hard drives tend to go to sleep most of the time, which means there's a noticeable wait while they spin back up whenever you actually want to access them. In a perfect world we'd be running massive SSD's though unfortunately we're not there yet :-/

Last edited:
The stand can come with a pronounced lean, either left or right, though mine didnt. The base of the stand is two thin peices of plexi circle with the ability to poorly rotate the screen right or left, though I would use both hand to turn it, mine doesnt pivot well. The base of the monitor arm fastens to a thin peice of metal in the plexi with 2 thumb screws, where I would have liked to see a slightly wider plate with 3 or 4. All in all, minor concerns, and totally justified by the pricetag of the monitor. But some people will just want a better stand, and for t gk ose people id say buy the shimian, it has the same led backlight and lcd panel, but an easier access to the vesa mount.

I may look into making a new base to bolt onto mine in the future, something with a bit more weight to it, but the stand is functional, so for now im just enjoying the awesome screen in my games.

I really believe that a bit of superglue between the two plastic bits, stopping the base from being a rotating base would fix this. I also don't understand why they bother with a swivelling base when LCD screens are so light that you can furth the who thing anyway. Dumb design decision.

I guess I may have been lucky. I don't have a lazy leaning screen.

I suspect its like all the other flaws, only the vocal minority speak up about them. Of the little group of us here, I dont think anyone has gotten one of the truly bad displays, though I think one of us got a bad power brick. Ive seen people on ocn with the lean, with an visibly uneven backlight, strange image retention problems, all kinds of weird defects. But in this case, I think its just a matter of how very many people purchased these, got a good screen, and never posted. I mean, if there werent a whole lot of purchases being made, we wouldnt have gone from 2 sellerz to 20+ in just a couple of months.

It's like anything. You're more likely to hear back form an unhappy buyer than a happy one. Hence you see more of the negative feedback than the good. Anyways, I wondering how many of my mates I can get onto these amazing screens. Maybe I could sell mine to one of them and pick up one with zero dead pixels even ;)

Every one of my computer friends is probably tired of hearing me praise just how damn good my screen looks. Ive told them all to pick them up if they are looking for a monitor.

Lol, I've arrange a good old fashioned LAN party this weekend. That way they'll have their screens near mine and can see how much better its is :D

Beer, pizza and computer games. Should be a good day.

Back