• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2700x high idle temp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jtaylorw

Hey guys,

Just finished my first custom loop and my 2080 TI is cooling as expected. My CPU is sitting a lot higher at idle then I thought it would though. It's not the optimal set up I know but i have 360mm worth of radiators in an NZXT H500i and my CPU is idling at 55*C with everything set to auto. or 60*C manually OC'd to 4.2 under load it goes to 75*C and 82*C respectively. I'm guessing its a bad thermal paste application or is this what I should be seeing? Thanks For the Help!

Last edited:
If the thermal paste app was bad, load temps would be awful as well.

Updated to the latest bios? Get all the air out of the system?

I updated the bios a while back, I'll have to check if it's still current when I get home. All air is out that that I could tip, rock, etc. to get out there's "suspended bubbles" in the res. that I'm guessing will work themselves out over time. there's nothing in tubes or blocks that I can see.

Hey guys,

Just finished my first custom loop and my 2080 TI is cooling as expected. My CPU is sitting a lot higher at idle then I thought it would though. It's not the optimal set up I know but i have 360mm worth of radiators in an NZXT H500i and my CPU is idling at 55*C with everything set to auto. or 60*C manually OC'd to 4.2 under load it goes to 75*C and 82*C respectively. I'm guessing its a bad thermal paste application or is this what I should be seeing? Thanks For the Help!

Try using HWInfo to monitor temps. The 2700X has a ++ offset so the CPU appears hotter than it actually is HWinfo will give you the real temp

sorry I probably should have included more information in my first post. I'm on a asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII wifi temps have been being monitored with HW monitor during benchmarks and idle and using Rivatuner in game. maybe i should check what my mobo is auto setting for cpu Voltage?

Manual overclocking with voltage set to auto.... it will dump big volts like 1.45v give or take. It's rather quite a bit, but the nature of this processor.

I'd like to say that at 4.2ghz and above mentioned voltage will create 75c load temps and probably higher if stressing AVX instructions.

Best efficiency would be around 4.0 - 4.1ghz and 1.35v with the fastest memory speed you can get stable. Ideally 3000Mhz or faster. (manually overclocked.)

What are you using to create a load?

As mentioned, HWMonitor is not accurate for this CPU. Use Ryzen Master or HWiNFO64. Your readings could be offset by +20C depending on which sensor is being used.

The The 2080Ti is using nearly 300W. For overclocking it is advised to have 240mm for each overclocked part, or 120mm worth of rad for each 100W. Either way you are pushing this limit easily. Especially if CPU voltage is auto. CPUs tend to be more sensitive to delta T (higher coolant temp) which is why you could be seeing temps there vs GPU. Not saying that 360mm is not functional, but you might not be seeing the best temps.

I know my Ryzen 3 1200 + B450M-A uses offset voltage. That's more likely a motherboard option than a cpu option.
I'm confused....

Ryzen 3 1200? Isn't that Ryzen first gen? This is a Zen+ (2700X) thread and I randomly asked about Ryzen 3 as in Zen 2 or Ryzen 3000. I'll stick to arch names next time. :p

And we are talking temperature offsets, not voltage.
Your readings could be offset by +20C

For clarity ZEN and ZEN+ have an offset on ZEN2 (Ryzen 3XXX) AMD has dropped the offset so the temp is what it is. It is still reported from multiple sensors over the dies and will show the highest reading.

Oh my bad, I thought it was in reference to voltage offset not temp. Sorry for the confusion, I'll try to pay better attention next time dudes.

Back