• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power \ Thermal Efficiency vs Turbo - Gigabyte Vision G

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jorlain

Hey guys!

I just recently put together a new build and I'm a little confused about how things are reacting. First, an outline of my components.

CPU: i9 10850k
Motherboard: Gigabyte Vision G (BIOS: F8b)
RAM: G.Skill Trident 32GB (16x2) 3200Mhz
Cooler: Enermax 360mm AIO
GPU: GTX 2080 Super
Case: Fractal Meshify C
PSU: Seasonic Focus PX 750

So when I first got everything fired up, this motherboard was trying to cook the CPU and running it at 1.38v with turbo seemingly maxing itself out, running up to 5.2Ghz. This of course was resulting in temperatures in the 60s-70s which I've never seen since switching to an AIO cooler. Obviously, I was only running a 6700K previously so there's a lot more to cool here, but I digress.

Doing a little research indicated that this was a common issue, especially with Gigabyte boards, and that turning off MCE would alleviate the problem, which it did. However, after disabling MCE, it settled in with a 48x multiplier and refused to move, regardless of how hard I pushed it or let it idle. Going back into the BIOS and enabling EST and C-States, now it parks itself at either a 35x or a 36x multiplier and refuses to budge any more than that.

There's got to be some BIOS features I'm either not utilizing or not utilizing correctly. Here's what I'd like to see happen, if it's even possible with this platform.

When idling or during low usage periods, I'd like the CPU to reduce it's multiplier as low as humanly possible (ie, 8x multiplier or similarly low) to reduce heat and power consumption. When I'm using the PC moderately, I'd like it to ramp up to say a 30x multiplier. And when I'm gaming or under heavy load, I'd like it to ramp up to its upper limits, 48x-52x.

Is this feasible with this board or platform? Can I have my cake and eat it too?

Thanks in advance!
Mike

Well, the CPU is good to 100C... so 60-70C (in what, btw?) is nothing. Under stress testing, the thought is to keep it around 90C

Basically, you want to reset the BIOS and leave it alone as that is the default behavior. At those temperatures, I would use the MCE when you enable XMP. Be sure Windows power is set to balanced and it should be automatic. You'll get a bit of a performance boost from the MCE and temperatures are just fine. :)

I understand what you're saying, but having the CPU jump from 35 to 65 every 30 seconds or so because the voltage and clock speeds are running rampant is no fun. I hit 60 degrees running Outlook and Chrome. I don't think my 6700K ever went over 45 degrees except for the one time I left Furmark and Prime95 running concurrently for several hours when I was testing the AIO. I think I hit 60 degrees or so.

TL : DR - I know it can run that warm and be fine, but I don't want it to if I can help it. I'd prefer to throttle it until it's actually needed rather than heat my house with it.

Edited to add: Food for thought - https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/...erboards-with-default-settings-for-your-build

Oh yes.. read that article when it came out. It uses more power and things run hotter for some performance gains. But its also true temperatures are nowhere close to the limit so you have plenty of headroom.

Anyway... you should be able to enable xmp without enabling mce and just run defaults. Yes it still spikes but with how turbo works this is normal. Your chip will last as long as you need it on default. Settle on idle, boost when it needs to. Make sure windows is set to balanced... you may want to reset the bios and start over.

You are obsessing over absolutely nothing. Your CPU can run all day at 90C + and that little CPU die can't put out enough heat to bother anything. Just shutoff whatever you're using to monitor the CPU temp and enjoy your new build.

*sigh*

I'm sorry for trying to tweak things to my liking. I'll just turn things to auto and let it do everything for me like a good boy.

Chill man.. :)

Well, that's the thing, I'm not sure you can have your cake and eat it to in the first place. I hope I'm wrong...

In thinking more critically about it, on some boards you can change the boost values, but the when the voltage is left on auto the VID for whatever clockspeed you have will still put that voltage to it unless you change something. You can try using stock boost and use an offset to lower the voltage...that may work, but I'm not sure how much that will help as it depends on how much you can lower it. I know blips won't heat your room up. :p

Give it a whirl... treat it like overclocking. Lower voltage maybe 0.05V, run some stress tests... works? Lower again... maybe 0.075... test again... rinse and repeat until you are unstable, bump it up a notch, stress test for a long period to ensure it is stable. ;)

......that or maybe I'm missing something. :)

Back