• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2K Surround vs. UWQHD Experience Comparison and Choice!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unsafesteagle

Id like to take an open poll from Overclockers.com Forum Members about Display Experience with FPS Gaming in mind.
More specifically, im interested in contrasting 2K Surround Graphics with UWQHD.

For example compare these specs.

2K Surround 3 Displays 2560 x 1440
UWQHD 3440 x 1440 Resolution

Points of interest are FPS gaming and also the larger resolution for everyday tasks and work space.
Of course also keep in mind poor ergonomics and bad looking aesthetics.

Which config would be chose and why?

Thanks Guys.

For FPS gaming, not a fan of three monitors. While the FOV is higher, you're realistically unable to see as much (you have to move your eyes all around as opposed to one screen with all of the action). I run TWO 2560x1440 monitors. I play games on the middle one and the other on the left is there for whatever (typically a browser, perhaps some monitoring, email, steam friends, etc). Surround is good for sims and other genres. 'pros' use 24" 1080p high-hz monitors in FPS comps. They aren't using surround or Uwide for reasons.

I'm also not a fan of ultra wides for FPS gaming for the same reason, but it's better than 3x surround. On the productivity side of that, it's way fewer pixels than 3x 2560 across, so you lose a lot of real estate for a curve. Less so today, but some titles don't scale well to Uwide resolutions and strech to fit, but again, that's way less an issue today than it was even a couple/few years ago.

That said, I don;t think two monitors look bad (and I have a bit of an OCD to 'balance' things out - my lego space ships were perfectly mirrored, lol) and I can slap 4x browsers across two 2560x1440 screens and love what it gives me.

So....... my vote is 2x 28" 2560x1440 monitors. To save money, your primary should be the higher Hz model (I rock 75Hz alt monitor, 165Hz primary). Of the two options, the widescreen, regrettably, lol.

Last edited:
I second ED. I have 2x27" monitors, and at average desk distance - as in maybe 3', the edges of the screens are just at the edge of my peripheral vision. 3 screens? You'd be looking around too much.

My setup is actually close to what he recommended - a 1440p high Hz Acer that I use for gaming and a 4K LG I use for everything else. It keeps the better aspects of both without going overboard to the point of unusable.

Having used 3x1080P 24" screens in NVIDIA surround for FPS games, I can tell you, you don't want to do it. Besides all the configuration issues that come with surround and weird game support, it's not even that good of an experience. I'm not a sim gamer, and I'm sure it's great for that, but shooter games are absolutely not what it's meant for. I'm also not a fan of ultrawide due to the horizontal space it takes up on the desk, having a second monitor to the left or right that isn't in portrait mode is difficult. All that said, I'd do ultrawide before surround all day.

disclaimer... i have been researching whether or not to consider UWUHD monitor for my next one, vs simply UHD (4k). but i've never used more than a single 30 inch 2560 x 1600 16:10 60Hz monitor, that's still going strong after 10+ years)

what i've found is that some UW monitors give you the ability to divide the real estate into thirds (say you like to game with discord open on the left and a strategy guide open on the right) or divide into 2 side by side pictures, or to limit the pixels used to 1440p (with black above, to the left and to the right). You are no longer required to use 100% of the monitor's pixels for 1 task anymore. (Samsung's G9 series comes to mind with features i've mentioned)

what i've found is that some UW monitors give you the ability to divide the real estate into thirds
Thats a monitor thing? Doesn't Windows do that? I know in W11 if you move a window/browser tab to the top of the screen, several options on how to split the screen real estate... but unsure if thirds is an option.

Thats a monitor thing? Doesn't Windows do that? I know in W11 if you move a window/browser tab to the top of the screen, several options on how to split the screen real estate... but unsure if thirds is an option.
i'm going off marketing on the official pages, so i'll link them:
~so far i've only seen pictures of the "thirds" on the 120Hz model of the G9 UW, and i'm not sure if it's actual side by side by side or if it's windows on a desktop: https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/49-odyssey-g9-gaming-monitor-lc49g97tssnxdc/
~but i've seen the side by side on the gaming version of the G9 UW with more game settings: https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...hd-curved-qled-gaming-monitor-lc49rg90ssnxza/
~then there's also the 240HZ version: https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...g95na-gaming-dqhd-led-monitor-ls49ag952nnxza/

maybe i was mistaken about the thirds, inferring a marketing picture. but halfsies is definitely a thing that can be done by the monitors

i'm going off marketing on the official pages, so i'll link them:
Yeah, that's marketing doesn't list a specific feature. My money is on Windows doing that spilt to thirds... though I wouldnt bet the farm on it, lol. Windows does split in half on each of my two monitors.

On those... I wonder if they can put 2560x1440 in the middle and split the remaining pixels on the sides. That 5120 is a weird res to stretch across.... but those aren't interesting (and expensive!)!

I know that on steam there's apps that will optimize open windows tabs and display area.

Am I understanding that displays now have a built in feature for managing the resolution into sections?

Am I understanding that susplays now have a built in feature for managing the display into sections?
That's what I'm trying to figure out...the links didn't convince me/say anything that it's a specific feature, however. Again, my money is windows can split that to thirds or its manually sized for marketing.

Also not sure how that would work manipulating Windows output from the monitor... AFAIK, they (monitors)dumb...

What config do you run that requires 3rd party apps to organize your windows?

Last edited:
Some apps I have in my steam library are multiplicity and also display-fusion.
There not newer applications.
I haven't tried to use them either.

Display fusion is about managing Taskbar and windowed apps on multi monitors.

Multiplicity uses some kinda version of windows remote desktop to use a keyboard and mouse on a 2nd pc
Post magically merged:

What config do you run that requires 3rd party apps to organize your windows?
I'm using Google Chrome and Microsoft edge.
I like drag n drop and also copy and paste.
Also, really like being able to visibly see both browsers at the same time. For typing also.
Putty and Windows Terminal.
File explorer , notepad.

Last edited:
so, after a little more digging... it looks the monitors have Picture by Picture mode: which allows 2 sources to have their own half (left / right) of the screen or Picture in picture mode...
Samsung also has a screen splitting SOFTWARE solution called : Easy Setting Box : https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00091282/
i don't know compatibility with other brands, but i reckon i'll check it out. The linked page gives me the impression of many screen-splitting options.

EDIT: looks like it only works with Samsung monitors... when i launched it... it told me "Samsung Monitor not found."

EDIT 2: https://displaysolutions.samsung.com/pdf/manual/2720/Easy_Setting_Box_UM_Eng_Rev.1.3_221114.0.pdf is the pdf manual. it looks like dual, triple, and even hextupal panes are available, and those pains are size adjustable, but again, looks like it only works with Samsung monitors.

Last edited:
Thanks for digging! Glad I didn't bet... :p

I wonder if there is a workaround for that software so it does the job on non-samsung monitors...

...also wondering if windows can do it anyway...

EDIT: @TerranBrackiatt - It can (see below)! The image is ~2/3 of one of my 2560x1440 screens. Windows IS able to split 3 ways on one monitor. :)

3pane.jpg

That Samsung software seems to have more options than Windows though (not sure if you can customize windows). :)

Last edited:
Windows 11 22H2 has the feature where you "snap" open-windows to particular locations using "snap layouts", but it still uses the one desktop from one source on the full monitor, and it only arranges open windows from said desktop with the single desktop in the background. those layouts of the open windows can be equal helves, equal thirds, equal quarters (2 top 2 bottom), unequal thirds (basically the equal quarters but combine 2 of the quarters into one to make it a half, with two quarters) etc... I found a video explaining how to set it up:
Of course, i could be wrong, but so far i haven't found anything. There IS multi-monitor setups though. but so far i can't find anything that lets you treat a single monitor as though it were three...

As far as i know, there's no Windows (home/ pro... i never use any of the server grade stuff, just the basic consumer grade stuff, and i consider pro to be home + a couple features like Bitlocker and more RAM. all that's really needed is a key change, but it's the same system) feature that let's the user split a single monitor into different windows from different sources, or to apply a fullscreen game to a middle window, and then different windows on the left and right. using Windows 11 22H2, you'd have to use everything in windowed mode, while the new Samsung G9 monitors allow you to open 2 windows from 2 different sources (either left side for source a, and right side for source b, OR picture in picture mode with the main source being full screen and the second source being in the small picture.)

also, so far, i have NOT found anything allowing you to use Easy Setting Box software on non-samsung monitors. apparently, 6ish years ago it was only available on included DVD media that came with the monitors. but now it's available from download directly from the website.

I have found a site with window managers (https://www.geckoandfly.com/26633/split-monitor-screen-windows-macos/) but it appears to still manage windows above a single desktop.

these managers may be what you need for productivity, but they will still require games to be played in windowed mode with other windows open for discord and browser ( say, open to a strategy guide ), but again, not like a multi-monitor setup.

TL;DR It looks like there are window layout softwares out there (including built in with Windows 11 22H2) but "screen- splitting" on a single monitor probably won't Yield multi-monitor functionality ( IE fullscreen game on one monitor with a full desktop on a second monitor) BUT i don't know for sure because i don't own a samsung UW monitor like the G9, so i can't test it.

Of course, i could be wrong, but so far i haven't found anything. There IS multi-monitor setups though. but so far i can't find anything that lets you treat a single monitor as though it were three...
Yep, well aware of the snap feature... just wasn't sure if it could snap three in the same Window.

It works, see my previous post. If you have Windows, try it yourself. But you can see in my screenshot the option for 3 equal windows on one monitor.

EDIT: In looking back, your recent mention of multiple SOURCES is different than the simple "what i've found is that some UW monitors give you the ability to divide the real estate into thirds" from the get. Windows (natively) cannot accept different sources like that and put them on a monitor AFAIK. But it can divide the real estate into thirds on one monitor. :)

Last edited:
yeah i guess i'm a slow "typist" (i kinda hunt and peck) and didn't see your your edit until after i posted....

believe me, i'm not trying to argue or anything... i just nerded out and tried to see what differences there are.... mainly looking at the the OP's reference of FPS gaming, and productivity... i was hoping i'd find enough information to definitively answer the Q, but i honestly don't know how the Samsung UW screen-splitting would compare to windows snap layouts for FPS gaming in split screen mode, especially considering that games can be played in windowed mode easily enough. i've learned more than i thought i would with this search, and each of my posts was made after I learned something new. so my earliest post mentioning the "thirds" was the uneducated version

and maybe i should redo the tl:dr to say that it really depends on how many sources one plans to use at the same time: ONE source? i guess it really doesn't matter anymore. because there are software ways to split the screen for multiple windows. pick whatever monitor setup you want. TWO? a few UW monitors are setup to be split into 2 screens for 2 sources. or get 2 monitors, one high Hz for gaming, plus a 60Hz for the other stuff. THREE? you'd need multiple monitors to show all inputs simultaneously

Me either... glad we got to the bottom of it.

One source = Windows can do it in several ways

Multiple sources = fancy monitors and/or software.

This puts on my brain the idea that, software controlled tabs, taskbars and windows,
for workstation style tasks a 4k television might just be a good choice
surprisingly

for televisions.... the main question to ask is.... do you want Gsync compatibility or 120 HZ. to have both , you can presume a cost of $1000-$1500 new for 43-55? inch TVs... ( i believe the new ones are pretty much about $1500 US; used: i don't know ) if you are okay without both, (ie 60Hz with no adaptive sync at all) you can get them a lot less expensive. they will use HDMI cables, as TVs generally don't offer DisplayPort. unless something's changed with the newest models.

PS: i know that LG has some certified gsync compatible TVs listed on Geforce's website, but other brands, i don't know if they've been tested yet.

i stopped at Walmart today on the way home from work... they have 43-55 inch 4k HDR Smart TVs with HDMI ports for $200-$300, if you're fine with 60Hz non adaptive sync for a productivity monitor / TV

Back