• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2k vs xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
...Which directly relate to gaming performance... As you can see, it's very arguable either way. If you have XP, leave it on there. You'd be pretty ****ed to see how little increase you'd get, if at all. Plus, there are new games coming out that won't work on anything older than XP. A bit Nazi, but that's the way this ol' world works.

Yeah, it used to be people with the best benching scores were using 2k, but its not worth the incompatability issues. Granted I still use 2k and its not too bad, but there have been occasions where I couldn't run a program or a hardware install was more difficult because the installer for XP wouldn't work for 2k... can't remeber if that was an MS product or not, but it was a wireless acess point or something like that. I think it was the install and config utility or an MS wireless access point.

Anyway, like mdameron said, its not going to be a performance gain you'll notice either way, unless you don't disable some of the fluff XP has, but you can always use a log in for gaming that has it disabled and a log in for other family members tht has the pretty stuff.

mdameron said:
...Which directly relate to gaming performance... As you can see, it's very arguable either way. If you have XP, leave it on there. You'd be pretty ****ed to see how little increase you'd get, if at all. Plus, there are new games coming out that won't work on anything older than XP. A bit Nazi, but that's the way this ol' world works.
Yeah...regrettably, the motto of Microsoft's game division in re operating system support is "---- you, what are you going to do about it?"

Frankly XP is just easier to configure. On the other hand, XP does nasty things like activation, so... :bang head

Although I don't think a lot of games will have 2K support much beyond next year.

I don't see how they can remove 2K support while developing for XP. They're pretty much exactly the same thing, use the samer drivers, etc. Its just little tikes took a dump on one of them.

I can understand microsoft titles, since they've been no stranger recently to creating artificial stimulus to get the corporate sector holdouts to upgrade...but why would any other developers go out of their way to unnecessarily limit their potential user base? That'd just be shooting themselves in the foot for no good reason.

My opinion is there is no perceivable difference from a performance viewpoint between XP and 2k. There is a measurable difference between the two which benchmarks reveal, but it's such a small gap that there's no impact to gaming. For example, if Doom3 is barely playable at 1024x768 with medium detail on XP, switching to 2k on the same hardware is not going to improve the situation. It won't jump your average fps from 25 to 30, and it certainly won't allow increasing the resolution or detail if playability is borderline on XP.

In all other categories XP is either better than or equal to 2k, so lacking any real performance gap I think it's logical to conclude that XP is the preferred OS. Is it worth upgrading from 2k to XP? Probably not at this point, but it depends on the individual's needs. XP has some nice security features for the computer novice so it may be a wise move for them. On the other hand, if you have XP installed already then it makes absolutely no sense to revert back to 2k. Similarly, if you didn't have either and had to pick one to buy, XP is the clear choice.

Last edited:
doublejack said:
My opinion is there is no perceivable difference from a performance viewpoint between XP and 2k. There is a measurable difference between the two which benchmarks reveal, but it's such a small gap that there's no impact to gaming. For example, if Doom3 is barely playable at 1024x768 with medium detail on XP, switching to 2k on the same hardware is not going to improve the situation. It won't jump your average fps from 25 to 30, and it certainly won't allow increasing the resolution or detail if playability is borderline on XP.

In all other categories XP is either better than or equal to 2k, so lacking any real performance gap I think it's logical to conclude that XP is the preferred OS. Is it worth upgrading from 2k to XP? Probably not at this point, but it depends on the individual's needs. XP has some nice security features for the computer novice so it may be a wise move for them. On the other hand, if you have XP installed already then it makes absolutely no sense to revert back to 2k. Similarly, if you didn't have either and had to pick one to buy, XP is the clear choice.

I was on a doublejack team with a Micheal J. Fox.

btw, I'm typing this with nubs:p

Seems like 2k is better for basic tasks, but after learning all of the common xp annoyances I feel that I've got a better handle on having it run well 90% of the time. Lots of frustration though!

Back