• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x8 or 4x4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blueknight1960

Registered
Just a couple quick questions. When buying memory,say 16 GB. Is it better to get 2x8 GB sticks or 4x4 GB sticks ? Also what memory is best for video encoding?

No the 8 GB is doing good. This is for a new build that'll be used for video editing. Thanks for the reply.

What platform is this?
That would dictate which is a better set up.
1151 is dual channel while 2011 is quad.

Bumping this thread as I have the same question except I'm building an X99 system.

I'm well aware that X99 has quad channel and that would be the preferred way to run the memory, but as I'm buying most of the parts at once, funds are not all that plentiful. Eventually I do intend to get to 32gb RAM as I currently have 12GB and have used all of it before during photo and occasional video editing, but to get the system up and running I'm only going to purchase 16GB. I could go 4x4 but everything I've read on here is that running 8 Dimms can be very taxing on the IMC for anything above the standard 2133 memory speed. For that reason I was planning to buy 2x8 for now and then maybe in 6-8 months pick up 2 more sticks of the identical memory.

The only info I can find about running dual channel on X99 is found here and seems to indicate that I'm really not going to be missing out on much performance by doing this (especially if it is only for the short term).

Want to know what others think...

Bumping this thread as I have the same question except I'm building an X99 system.

I'm well aware that X99 has quad channel and that would be the preferred way to run the memory, but as I'm buying most of the parts at once, funds are not all that plentiful. Eventually I do intend to get to 32gb RAM as I currently have 12GB and have used all of it before during photo and occasional video editing, but to get the system up and running I'm only going to purchase 16GB. I could go 4x4 but everything I've read on here is that running 8 Dimms can be very taxing on the IMC for anything above the standard 2133 memory speed. For that reason I was planning to buy 2x8 for now and then maybe in 6-8 months pick up 2 more sticks of the identical memory.

The only info I can find about running dual channel on X99 is found here and seems to indicate that I'm really not going to be missing out on much performance by doing this (especially if it is only for the short term).

Want to know what others think...

Your best bet would be to save some more $$ and buy the quad channel kit instead of buying 2 separate dual channel kits at different intervals. You'll run into little to no issues going the quad channel route as opposed to 2 dual channel kits at different times.

Your best bet would be to save some more $$ and buy the quad channel kit instead of buying 2 separate dual channel kits at different intervals. You'll run into little to no issues going the quad channel route as opposed to 2 dual channel kits at different times.

I realize that is the safest bet, but really what are the chances I'll have problems going the other route? I have everything needed to fire the system up except ram so I'm not too keen on waiting much longer. Already been sitting on most of the parts since black Friday weekend.

Edit: Also, buying the quad channel kit is my least desirable option as it adds about 10% to the price of just buying two dual channel kits. From my understanding the risk of having issues in quad channel with using two dual channel kits is pretty minimal, especially if I buy them at the same time from the same vendor, which I guess would be my fall back plan if it is deemed I shouldn't risk buying the kits 6 months apart as the chips could be different.

Last edited:
I realize that is the safest bet, but really what are the chances I'll have problems going the other route? I have everything needed to fire the system up except ram so I'm not too keen on waiting much longer. Already been sitting on most of the parts since black Friday weekend.

Edit: Also, buying the quad channel kit is my least desirable option as it adds about 10% to the price of just buying two dual channel kits. From my understanding the risk of having issues in quad channel with using two dual channel kits is pretty minimal, especially if I buy them at the same time from the same vendor, which I guess would be my fall back plan if it is deemed I shouldn't risk buying the kits 6 months apart as the chips could be different.

Well you already know. If it was me, I'd do whatever it took to get the quad channel kit for peace of mind. Up to you if you want to roll the dice on 2 dual channel kits at different times.

I'm personally waiting for the 32 gig kits(4x8gb) to come down in price a bit. I'll buy a quad kit for my 6700k*obviously only dual channel* and have this 8 gig kit on backup duty. The price is dropping and the speed is ramping up, so it literally only gets better as time goes on.

Soon you will see higher clocked 2x16GB kits for Z170. Now you can find some but most are lower frequency. G.Skill is pushing higher frequency and higher capacity kits but most other manufacturers raise capacity but not frequency.

Back