• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3.0C or 3.0E or ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enkidu

I'm prepping to build a storage machine/seti cruncher. I'm thinking a 3.0 with a light overclock to 3.3 - anyone have opinions on whether to go with the 3.0C or 3.0E to achieve this? I have a 3.0 in my desktop currently running at 3.3 - but it was a b*tch to get there and really had to jack voltage up to get stable.

Happy to hear other suggestions too - I'm just looking for a fast but VERY stable machine (it will be a network storage machine) - that doesn't require my gas powered leaf blower to keep cool :)

Thanks!
Enk

I think the best choice would be 3.0E + some Zalman heatsink.
Other people say that presscott is better than northwood in seti, and Zalman should keep it cool and still be quiet. But thats just my opinion.

Ya - given the research I've done it sounds like the prescotts run significantly hotter than the northwoods - I'll definitely invest in a good heatsink.

I've also read that the 478 version of the prescott is "a big mistake" and to stick with the LGA775 - however LGA775 mobos seem to be significantly more expensive, ugh :( (though the asus p5p800 seems ok at around $95)

The prescotts do run hotter, but 3.3 should be easy enough, and the prescotts are better for boinc. They have improved hyperthreading, and the extra cache helps too.

15 X 225 = 3375 @ 1.36v 'D' stepping

Zalman CNPS7000-AlCu

HT classic wu AR 0.467 = 2:31

Attachments

• 30c.JPG
    30c.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 129
Excellent - thanks for the data Hallen, very helpful. I just ordered this puppy - hopefully I'll have a new member of the family up and running in a few days :)

Nice addition Enkidu. Just don't fall into the "need more speed" syndrom...;-)
Overcloking a storage machine too much can result in no storage...Been there, done that... It wasn't funny...

The Wizard

Quite right - it will only be a minor OC - definitely not going to take much risk on the box. I have two more pure crunchers to build over the next 6-9 months which will be my major oc boxes :)

Back