• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte X570 AORUS XTREME EATX AM4 Motherboard - any non EATX option out there?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MitchV

So I'm starting to pick parts for a new build... I'm long overdue and I'd like to build a 3900X machine.

My question is whether or not there is a better silent option for an X570 motherboard and/or a corresponding case. I'd like to get something fairly futureproof. I'm disappointed to learn that the PCIE 4.0 NVME drives really aren't outperforming the PCIE 3.0... but perhaps that will change in the future.

Does anyone have experience with this motherboard, particularly with any of the parts below? Maybe I'm just making too many concessions for the X570 chipset.

-- More details --

I'm a software engineer, I do a bit of graphics work, I need a machine to transcode video (plex server)... so I'm looking forward to building an updated box. There appears to be little room to OC these new Ryzen CPUs, but given the performance/value, I'm good with that and have no plans to push this hardware. High on my priority list is a quiet machine. I have an aversion to noisy machines to the point that I am happy to pay good money for quiet parts.

The Gigabyte X570 AORUS XTREME EATX AM4 Motherboard seems like the best board for my build for the simple reason that it has passive cooling. It may sound silly... but that's why I'm planning to buy that board.

I'm putting my parts list together and realize that PC Partpicker website will no longer give me the option for a Fractal R6 case. I realize that the Fractal R6 is an ATX case and my selected motherboard is an EATX. The R6 supports motherboards up to 285mm in width, I look at the Gigabyte specs and this thing is 12" (305mm)?!?!?!?! Is this accurate?

The Fractal R6 ticked all of my boxes. It has a 3.5" bay, it's quiet, well built, not too big, has room for a ton of drives and is reasonably priced.

My next ideal case is a be quiet! Dark Base PRO 900 Orange Rev. 2. If I'm spending $700 bones on a motherboard, I'm willing to chuck another $270 to an elegant/quiet case with nice features... even though it's huge. Here's a link to the be quiet! site, and it shows E-ATX compatibility under the Technical Data. This *should* work.

Also, I'm planning to buy a Noctua NH-D15 (BIG/silent) CPU cooler... but if I go the be quiet! route, they have a very similar air cooled CPU solution.

Thank you in advance!

Passive will obviously be the best for silence. But that said, of the boards I tested, I heard one of those chipset fans over anything else in the system (3x120mm AIO and a case fan - this is also in an open chassis sitting 3-4' from my ears).

Id trust the gigabyte website for specs, yes.

I have the most X570 experience with Gigabyte at his time. They released a new BIOS on some (all?) boards which allows for the chipset fan speed to be manually set...

Passive will obviously be the best for silence. But that said, of the boards I tested, I heard one of those chipset fans over anything else in the system (3x120mm AIO and a case fan - this is also in an open chassis sitting 3-4' from my ears).

Id trust the gigabyte website for specs, yes.

I have the most X570 experience with Gigabyte at his time. They released a new BIOS on some (all?) boards which allows for the chipset fan speed to be manually set...

Given your Gigabyte X570 experience... perhaps you can provide some RAM feedback...

I believe this is on the Gigabyte QVL list. I'm looking for 64GB of good ram... my understanding is that PC3600 with a CAS16 rating is the sweet spot. The memory below meets those parameters (except it is CAS17)

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-64gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232451?Item=N82E16820232451

Is there a better choice for memory? Perhaps a better value? Any concerns about using 64GB given that I don't plan to do any overclocking?

Thanks again!

I'd stick to the QVL list is my best advice. That is a lot of RAM (be sure you NEED it) so you may need to make some changes to get it to run at those speeds... I've only tested 32GB kits and those ran 3600 CL16 without issue.

I have my Aorus extreme x570 fitted just fine in an R6? I was going to squeeze it in the R5!

Back