• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3.2E C0,D0,or E0 for this setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

enos_parsley

Just wandered down to the local shop to check out their 3.2E selection and found a bunch of KC's, a couple E5's and even a B8, all retail - was in a rush and didn't check what factories though. I'm looking for an upgrade from my 2.8C WT (China) and can't decide which would be better with what I've got already. Which is...

P4P800-E-DLX and TwinX1024-440025PT, planning on picking up an xp-120, plus the PSU needs a kick in the pants too.

Is the unlocked multiplier on the B8 something I should really be looking at? Has anyone been able to unlock the multi on the new E0? If it can, should I wait for that? Or are power drain and heat my biggest concerns and I should go for one of the D0's? What are the new fav factories from the superstitious front?

Thanks for lookin'...

With that pc-4400 an unlocked multi could be the way to go, assuming you can hit its full potential. The D0's are always a safe bet, not sure if you've read the monster thread in here (i'm sure you've seen it) but they are doing 3.7+ with ease. I hadn't heard anything about the E0's being unlocked, but of course they are the latest stepping. To early to say how a 478 E0 is going to do, but if it were my choice, i would check the latest E0 out, and hope they clock well. I'm not sure how that P4P is gonna do with a pressy, i know mine didn't like it. And what PSU do you have, cause you're gonna want a fairly good one for the power hungry pressy's.

If you want to get the most out of that RAM, get a CPU with a lower multi. a 2.8 or 3.0 D0 would be better in my opinion since you're using air to cool the CPU.

AudiMan said:
If you want to get the most out of that RAM, get a CPU with a lower multi. a 2.8 or 3.0 D0 would be better in my opinion since you're using air to cool the CPU.

Or, as he mentioned use the 14 multi (that of a 2.8) provided by the C0 stepping :p

First of all, thanks much for the comments.

I guess what I'd really like to know is if the E0's are unlockable, although from the reviews I've seen they appear to throttle quite badly - read strangle - on heat and if I'm only prepared to go for air cooling right now that might not be the best way to go.

I've also read here that the Costa Rican B8's tend to go pretty high while the Chinese... not so much. I'll head back to the store this week and check where the B8 they've got was made - if it's CR I'll probably pick it up, if not I'll wait it out a bit longer. I still have some more of the WAR thread to get through ;) and some of wout's Child of WAR thread as well. Hopefully those will help me on the KC vs. E5 issue if the B8 is from China and I decide against the E0.

Any comments?
(or have I just answered all of my questions? hmmm, forum AND sounding board... excellent)

Oh yeah, nearly forgot. My PSU is just a thrown-in-with-the-case POS (X-Dreamer II - TurboLink 350W) that I'll need to replace. I'd take suggestions on that, but this really isn't the place for it.

Back